Green Duster Wads - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Green Duster Wads

This is a discussion on Green Duster Wads within the Shotgun Reloading forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; Do any of you see any leading cause to use green duster wads over claybusters outside of personal preference? That was the hot topic of ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Reloading

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Flash
  • 1 Post By RKB
  • 1 Post By RKB
  • 1 Post By Flash
  • 1 Post By Spizzer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2020, 09:37 AM   #1

Member #17442
Green Duster Wads

Do any of you see any leading cause to use green duster wads over claybusters outside of personal preference? That was the hot topic of conversation at the club this past weekend.
ramblinrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-06-2020, 01:54 PM   #2

Member #5570
Nope. For me it's just availability and personal preference and nothing more.
oneounceload likes this.
Flash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:50 PM   #3
RKB

Member #2031
I've been shooting Claybuster since they started making them, and have seen no reason to change - and they are usually the most economical in case lots. AND - they make two different 16ga wads, also!
oneounceload likes this.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2020, 08:46 AM   #4

Member #8874
I have heard speculation that Claybusters leave more plastic in the barrel for guys that do a lot of target shooting . Maybe, maybe not. My gun patterns nice with the CB wads. I see no reason to change .

Jeff
BadaBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:44 PM   #5

Member #17580
Heck I'm still using SL wads , bought so many cases back when and that's 20K per case

OU12/20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:15 PM   #6
RKB

Member #2031
Originally Posted by BadaBoom View Post
I have heard speculation that Claybusters leave more plastic in the barrel for guys that do a lot of target shooting . Maybe, maybe not. My gun patterns nice with the CB wads. I see no reason to change .
Claybuster used to do that. When they first started up, they were using reclaimed plastic to make their wads, and it left an awful mess in barrels. They have since then switched to virgin plastic, and according to most users, that fixed that problem. I've not seen any more plastic residue in any of my guns using them and Claybuster makes up the vast majority of the wads that I use.
ramblinrebel likes this.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:02 AM   #7

Member #5570
I use Claybusters exclusively in 20 gauge and they don't leave hardly any residue at all.
RKB likes this.
Flash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:32 AM   #8

Member #15882
I have a somewhat unique experience with ClayBuster wads that supports the above discussions. When I started reloading, I bought a bunch of supplies from a guy who had been reloading for years, but no longer could. The supplies included around 5,000 clay buster wads. I used them and was getting serious plastic fouling in my barrel. Only thing that would cut it was Shooters Choice. I would get long strips of plastic residue coming out of the barrels. When I ran out, I bought more ClayBuster wads, and low and behold, the fouling has almost stopped. Very little. So....bottom line I found a huge difference between the old wads and new manufacture.

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dawgs2 likes this.
Spizzer is offline   Reply With Quote