Approximate cost? - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Approximate cost?

This is a discussion on Approximate cost? within the Shotgun Reloading forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; What can you guys reload a flat (250 rnds) of 12 ga 1 0z #8 with a basic target velocity of say 1150 to 1200 ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Reloading

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2020, 08:32 AM   #1

Member #14506
Approximate cost?

What can you guys reload a flat (250 rnds) of 12 ga 1 0z #8 with a basic target velocity of say 1150 to 1200 FPS?? Assuming you already have hulls. Also where is the best place to buy supplies? Thinking about getting back into reloading after a long hiatus. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trucker3573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-05-2020, 09:15 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Right now, supplies are scarce, but you could try CAC Associates
1oz will get you 400 loads from a bag of shot. Unless you buy in bulk - powder in 8# jugs, primers by the case of 5000, wads by the case of 5000, you won't save much compared to the basic promo 4 packs from Wally World or Dick's or Academy.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:32 AM   #3

Member #14506
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
Right now, supplies are scarce, but you could try CAC Associates
1oz will get you 400 loads from a bag of shot. Unless you buy in bulk - powder in 8# jugs, primers by the case of 5000, wads by the case of 5000, you won't save much compared to the basic promo 4 packs from Wally World or Dick's or Academy.

Yeah kind of what I was thinking. The local Wally World here usually has a pretty good supply of estates for 5.50 a box. Kind of hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trucker3573 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2020, 01:41 PM   #4

Member #7073
I guess you could save some if you have your press and some supplies, besides its fun to sit down and load a few shotgun shells...{but powder and shot are not cheep right now}
if your out of supplies???
packrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:58 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Member #1368
I reload because I am cheap; there are a LOT of other things I'd rather do then reload shotshells; also one reason why my reloads are 3/4oz - 533 loads from a bag of expensive shot.
ramblinrebel likes this.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:40 AM   #6

Member #5570
You can save a bunch reloading 28 Gauge and .410 bore.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:50 AM   #7

Member #9953
I reload rifle and pistol. I bought a shotgun press but have not used it yet.

From the centerfire pistol and rifle side you do not save much unless you are very diligent about finding deals and buying in large quantities.

Where the real savings come is that for the cost of the cheap ammo you can create premium ammo. Ammo is really the cheapest part of pretty much any hunt. Might as well use the good stuff. If your firearm performs well with the cheap stuff you are lucky. Generally you will get better performance both on paper and game with the premium fodder.

I can tailor loads to a specific firearm, have ammo that performs at a premium level, and do it for the cost of the cheap Wally World prices.

I am just waiting on shooting up my cheaper trap loads and getting into the premium hulls before I begin reloading for 12 ga. I am expecting my experience with reloading for shotgun will mirror what I have experienced with rifle and pistol. Fun but not money saving. Creating premium level ammo for cheap ammo prices. Not saving but being able to shoot more for the money.

Reloading as a hobby is fun. I enjoy the time at the press so that is a benefit as well.
RKB, packrat and ramblinrebel like this.
Hard H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:26 AM   #8

Member #17442
The last I checked my prices on my reloading it was $5.00 a box. Hey I'm cheap. You can find bargin's out there ,but not what I reload.
oneounceload likes this.
ramblinrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:59 PM   #9

Member #5570
Originally Posted by Hard H2O View Post
I reload rifle and pistol. I bought a shotgun press but have not used it yet.

From the centerfire pistol and rifle side you do not save much unless you are very diligent about finding deals and buying in large quantities.
That depends on what you mean by not saving much. Before the current shortages started, you could save about half on 9mm, around 60% on .45 ACP, around half on .223/5.56 and a bundle on virtually any other centerfire round.

It also depends on what you call buying in large quantities. For instance, I usually buy bullets in quantities of 2K to 5K, primers by the sleeve (5K) and powder by the 8 pound jug. I don't personally call those large quantities, I call them on the upper side of small quantities but not quite medium quantities.
oneounceload likes this.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:31 PM   #10

Member #17938
With free hulls, it's currently costing me $5.36 a box for quality 1 oz. loads. Not much savings over cheap factory ammo, especially considering the cost of reloading equipment and the time spent reloading.

BUT... it's nice to be able to load whatever loads you want, whenever you want, and always know you can whip up some ammo if you need it. And it's a hobby in itself.

Do a quick search and you can find a spreadsheet program or on-line cost calculator for shotshell reloading.

I buy reloading supplies from places like Graf & Sons, Recob, Midway, CAC Associates, etc. You can often find someone running a free hazmat shipping sale to help cut your cost on powder and primers.

Last edited by desmobob; 10-08-2020 at 06:33 PM.
desmobob is offline   Reply With Quote