Approximate cost? - Page 2 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Approximate cost?

This is a discussion on Approximate cost? within the Shotgun Reloading forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; [QUOTE=desmobob;153008]BUT... it's nice to be able to load whatever loads you want, whenever you want, and always know you can whip up some ammo if ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Reloading

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2020, 06:59 PM   #11
RKB

Member #2031
[QUOTE=desmobob;153008]BUT... it's nice to be able to load whatever loads you want, whenever you want, and always know you can whip up some ammo if you need it. And it's a hobby in itself.

QUOTE]
I enjoy reloading, it's just another aspect of the game. I don't much do 12ga, the Wallyworld el cheapos do fine for what little 12ga I shoot (mostly Tuesday morning trap with a group out at the club) but if I want to tailor a load to one of my guns, that option is available to me. 16ga is strictly reloads, ammo is scarce and expensive, and it is the gauge I shoot the most. In 20ga I load light 3/4oz, none of that is locally available. 28 or 410 is simple economics, $3 to $3.50 a box can't be beat with any factory ammo that I am aware of.
I don't include equipment cost in any of my loads, all my loaders have paid for themselves many years back. Nor do I figure in hull costs, I have accumulated lifetime supplies in each gauge in 40 years of working at many different clubs.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-08-2020, 11:02 PM   #12

Member #17938
Originally Posted by RKB View Post
I enjoy reloading, it's just another aspect of the game. I don't much do 12ga, the Wallyworld el cheapos do fine for what little 12ga I shoot (mostly Tuesday morning trap with a group out at the club) but if I want to tailor a load to one of my guns, that option is available to me. 16ga is strictly reloads, ammo is scarce and expensive, and it is the gauge I shoot the most. In 20ga I load light 3/4oz, none of that is locally available. 28 or 410 is simple economics, $3 to $3.50 a box can't be beat with any factory ammo that I am aware of.
I don't include equipment cost in any of my loads, all my loaders have paid for themselves many years back. Nor do I figure in hull costs, I have accumulated lifetime supplies in each gauge in 40 years of working at many different clubs.
I don't consider my equipment costs either, since I consider reloading a hobby and an almost necessary part of owning 28ga. and .410 shotguns. I live in a rural area and it isn't always easy or convenient to find ammo (I load for 12, 20, 28 and .410). If you like to shoot sub-gauge guns at skeet, trap or clays, reloading makes it affordable.
RKB likes this.
desmobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:35 PM   #13

Member #17580
IMO : Where one really saves is hunting rounds ,not so much on target shells .
Pheasants , Ducks , Geese say 3.5 in 10 or 12 gauge that's where money is saved .

Now if someone were to ask what I could load MY Targets 1 1/8 o/z Shells for truthfully $1.75 a box . Now I CAN'T replace them for that obviously , however Bulk purchases when GOOD sales are around is paramount .
I'm certain there are members on this forum whom remember when Win. 209's were $16.00 a K and 8 lb. Winchester Superlite was $87.00 shot $10.50 or less purchased by the ton all brands West Coast Black Diamond Hornady Lawrence all were within $0.75 a bag and by pallets several tons at a time generally were $.20 a bag difference .

However not everyone had 40 Ft. powder storage magazines but those of us who did are laughing at people forking out a $1.00 per 9mm shell , damn lunatics is all I have to say !.
OU12/20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2020, 09:47 PM   #14

Member #460
Since I make my own shot. 10 boxes of 12 as you stated would be about about $21.00.
The Happy Kaboomer is offline   Reply With Quote