Sunstituting Pistol Bullets For .410 Shotgun Slug Loads - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Sunstituting Pistol Bullets For .410 Shotgun Slug Loads

This is a discussion on Sunstituting Pistol Bullets For .410 Shotgun Slug Loads within the Shotgun Reloading forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; I have a Mossberg 500 .410 pump shotgun with the 24" .410 bore slug barrel, and due to the problems here in Eastern Ohio with ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Reloading

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2020, 07:22 PM   #1

Member #18252
Sunstituting Pistol Bullets For .410 Shotgun Slug Loads

I have a Mossberg 500 .410 pump shotgun with the 24" .410 bore slug barrel, and due to the problems here in Eastern Ohio with the 410 ammo shortage that even started a bit before this covid thing, I'm wanting to cast my own slugs for my 2 1/2' hulls.

I've already made my own slug loads for my 500 12ga using the Lee 7/8oz KeyDrive mold and for my 500 20ga using the Lyman's 350gr Sabot mold which both molds have you use the standard shot shell wad for housing the slug. I got more than exceptional results with both loads, but keeping in mind that I'm not overwhelmingly focused on accuracy for my 410 loads however I am trying to get the most accurate load as possible by means of using pistol bullets in my 410 shot shell hulls whereby the slug will be placed inside the wad

I also want to make known that lead shot is not cheap here by NO MEANS. I've called around our area within an hour drive, and any sporting good store that has lead shot wants on average of 55-65.00 for a 25lb bag and I'm not going to put more money into the equipment and learning time into making my own lead shot when I have a GOOD supplier of both wheel weight lead and soft lead for my casting and already have a pretty good understanding on how to cast and load my slugs. As of right now I'm sitting on nearly 400 lbs of wheel weight lead cast into 1lb bars and 250lbs of soft lead cast into 1lb bars which the wheel weight lead is only .22 per pound and the soft lead I recently started getting for .40 per pound

I know that Svarog makes a .410 Match (Sabot) mold and I bought it from them directly for a bottom line cost of 56.18 versus buying it from an ebay seller for average of 100-110.00, but I am starting to walk away from using this mold due to the fact of there's ABSOLUTELY NO ONE providing load data in the way of what components to use. Sure, I can go by the shot shell load data based on it's projectile weight for how much powder to use , but there's the problem with what other components (wads, nitro cards. gas seals, fiber cushion, etc) that there is NO WHERE telling us what to use. This cast bullet is sized for the .410 barrel whereby being .408-.409. and so it will not be used in a wad but will have to be placed on top of a wad or some other means, and I'm also not interested in doing the round ball

With all due respect to you all, please don't refer me to Ballistic Products as I recently left another popular shotgun forum site because they have 'spammers' who keep coming into my threads trying to get me to buy Ballistic Product's 410 slugs, and this is even after I politely reminded other users including remind one user 3 times that I said how I'm not buying other slugs when I obviously have the lead here to cast my own and simply because I made it clear that I want to cast my own as a goal to complete in order to become more self-sustaining and also because I'm a paraplegic and being confined to a wheel chair now makes it very difficult to get outside and do much of anything during the winter months.

Wew... well sorry for the book there, but I'm trying to be specific so everyone will know ahead of time of what I'm specifically needing help on and what I'm not needing, and so now onto the main topic:

I know that I can use any one of the following: a 9mm, a 38 special, or a 357 Magnum bullet whereby their diameter fits snugly (not too tight and not too loose) into the standard .410 shot shell wads... yes, I've tried each one in the 410 wads

I am initially considering the 357 magnum flat nose mold from Lee which yields a 200 grain bullet that is just under a 1/2 oz that makes it nice because there are SO MANY load recipes for the 1/2oz shot-shell loads

So does anyone have any experience or can lead me to someone who does, concerning how the length and/or weight of the bullet would effect this particular load project whereby I already know that any of these bullets I go with will have a shorter length than what the lead shot filled up to in the wad and so I will be just having to use a couple or whatever nitro cards in order to fill the space which is needed to bring the bullet near the top of the wad and yes I will be doing a fold crimp and not messing around with buying and learning how to do the roll crimps

So does things like a longer bullet in this particluar load apllication help to stabilize it once it leave the guidance of the barrel and the wad detaches from the slug, or is it a shorter bullet that would achieve a better accuracy? or is it .... ?

Last edited by Get-The-Lead-Out; 10-04-2020 at 08:24 PM.
Get-The-Lead-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-04-2020, 07:31 PM   #2

Member #15416
I was able to get a 000 buck mold and used that for slugs. I think 3 with a cut down aa wad. I didn't do much with it, since I got rid of the press soon after. I think 0000 might work better though. My mold was custom made as part of a group buy on another form, so I was able to get anything I wanted.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
nhyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:36 PM   #3

Member #16968
That bullet from a smooth bore is not going to stabilize at all. Longer or shorter won't make a bit of difference. They will all tumble as soon as it leaves the barrel and they will all hit at all different angles regardless how far the target.

I'd recommend you try a 36 cal muzzle loading ball instead. You can probably bum a few or even buy one box as a test run.

Then if it is acceptable get a mold, they are common.

This will give you the better accuracy you said you don't care about at the first of your post but you seem you DO care about by the end.

If you can shop a black powder rendezvous they will have many vendors there selling all manner of round balls and sizes.

Old 10-04-2020, 09:15 PM   #4

Member #18252
Originally Posted by Jack Ryan View Post
That bullet from a smooth bore is not going to stabilize at all. Longer or shorter won't make a bit of difference. They will all tumble as soon as it leaves the barrel and they will all hit at all different angles regardless how far the target.

I'd recommend you try a 36 cal muzzle loading ball instead. You can probably bum a few or even buy one box as a test run.

Then if it is acceptable get a mold, they are common.

This will give you the better accuracy you said you don't care about at the first of your post but you seem you DO care about by the end.

If you can shop a black powder rendezvous they will have many vendors there selling all manner of round balls and sizes.
Thanks but hmmm yes I do care about accuracy since I'm looking for what bullet will provide the best accuracy since from the very beginning of my post starting from just the third-fourth line down I said "I'm not overwhelmingly focused on accuracy for my 410 loads however I am trying to get the most accurate load as possible by means of using pistol bullets in my 410 shot shell hulls whereby the slug will be placed inside the wad"

and I also said that I'm not interested in doing round ball as you have suggested for me to try using

Last edited by Get-The-Lead-Out; 10-04-2020 at 09:17 PM.
Get-The-Lead-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:48 AM   #5

Member #16968
Originally Posted by Get-The-Lead-Out View Post
and I also said that I'm not interested in doing round ball as you have suggested for me to try using
Sounds good.

Best of luck to ya.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #6

Member #7073
I am not much help on your .410 load, but I do cast and load pistol bullets with wheel weight lead and round pure lead muzzle loading round balls.{the price you are paying for lead is very low, wish I could find some at that price} could you use a cast .41 cal. bullet
that is .409 to .410 dia. cast for a .41 S&W revolver or is that too big for a .410 slug load..???
packrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:13 PM   #7

Member #16956
I think it better not to try and reinvent the wheel here. The Foster style shotgun slug flies point on because it acts like a badmitten birdy with the weight in the nose and a thinner skirt behind. The outside lubricated .38 and .41 colt pistol cartridges never shot for sour owls because when the change to an inside lubed bullet was made, the necessary reduction in bore diameter was never carried out for some reason. The solution was to use an expanding hollow based bullet. Perhaps you can turn one up for the .41 Colt and forgo the plastic wad. My old Stevens 520 is choked full, 32 inch barrel, but it will shoot the Standard Velocity Foster 12 gauge Federal Slug into 3-4 inches to the top of the bead at 30-50 yards all day long. That is about the size of a deer or a bear's heart area, BTW. The sabot's I admit I have not experimented with, but nobody makes a dumbell shaped bullet such as that do they?
4575wcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:01 PM   #8

Member #5570
Jack Ryan is right. They won't stabilize.
Jack Ryan likes this.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 03:50 PM   #9

Member #7073
Quote "I am initially considering the 357 magnum flat nose mold from Lee which yields a 200 grain bullet that is just under a 1/2 oz that makes it nice because there are SO MANY load recipes for the 1/2oz shot-shell loads

I was just loading up some .38 special wad cutters hollow base bullets and was thinking about your post, I do not have a .410 shotgun right now but worth a try and see if they would shoot if loaded in the shot wad.? Yes I know there not 200 gr. but 148 gr.
packrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:41 PM   #10

Member #17938
Originally Posted by packrat View Post
I was just loading up some .38 special wad cutters hollow base bullets and was thinking about your post, I do not have a .410 shotgun right now but worth a try and see if they would shoot if loaded in the shot wad.? Yes I know there not 200 gr. but 148 gr.
And a hollow-base wadcutter has a similar weight distribution as a Foster style slug. Interesting... I'm really wondering about the possibilities here!

I think the inside diameter of a Winchester .410 wad is about right to hold a .38 HBWC. I'm going to run down to the basement and check it out.
desmobob is offline   Reply With Quote