Sunstituting Pistol Bullets For .410 Shotgun Slug Loads - Page 2 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Sunstituting Pistol Bullets For .410 Shotgun Slug Loads

This is a discussion on Sunstituting Pistol Bullets For .410 Shotgun Slug Loads within the Shotgun Reloading forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; Originally Posted by desmobob And a hollow-base wadcutter has a similar weight distribution as a Foster style slug. Interesting... I'm really wondering about the possibilities ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Reloading

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2020, 06:53 PM   #11

Member #17938
Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
And a hollow-base wadcutter has a similar weight distribution as a Foster style slug. Interesting... I'm really wondering about the possibilities here!

I think the inside diameter of a Winchester .410 wad is about right to hold a .38 HBWC. I'm going to run down to the basement and check it out.
A 148gr. HBWC is a tight, perfect fit in a Claybuster CB5050-41HS wad inserted in a Federal .410 hull. The Federal was the only empty .410 hull I had as I just finished loading up my Winchester AACF and AAHS hulls this afternoon.

There is a lot of space that needs to be used up, but that's easy enough. I bought in inexpensive 10mm wad punch from eBay along with some sheet cork in various thicknesses. It's easy to make light cushion wads to fill space.

Man... if these bullets went a reasonable distance without tumbling, you might really be on to something here!
desmobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-12-2020, 08:23 AM   #12

Member #2047
Semi-related, rifled shotgun barrel for a .410 ?

I think a rifled shotgun barrel for a .410 would be a good way to go. It would address a lot of the issues of stabilizing the slug/bullet. I know people have had rifled barrel liners put into side by side shotguns to convert them to being a double rifle. A rifled barrel .410 could probably perform much like a rifle. Get solid brass .410 cases and load about as you would for a .444 Marlin keeping pressures in mind.
David Lee Valdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 01:11 PM   #13

Member #460
Why not just buy another gun instead of possibly blowing your 410 trying make it something it ain't?
RKB and Jack Ryan like this.
The Happy Kaboomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2020, 02:28 PM   #14

Member #18534
Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
I was able to get a 000 buck mold and used that for slugs. I think 3 with a cut down aa wad. I didn't do much with it, since I got rid of the press soon after. I think 0000 might work better though. My mold was custom made as part of a group buy on another form, so I was able to get anything I wanted.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I picked up a .390 RB mold, I found they fit through my choke. I also found they fit tightly into a Frosty Straw. I usually tuck three in a straw and cut to length. Then load up: primer, powder, card wad, fiber wad, and straw/lead load, The three balls stay reasonably tightly grouped when fired
lithargoel@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote