Black Powder reloads - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Black Powder reloads

This is a discussion on Black Powder reloads within the Shotgun Reloading forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; I am cutting back hulls in order to roll crimp black powder loads. I find cutting back beyond the folds produces the best crimps, but ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2020, 07:15 PM   #1

Member #18018
Black Powder reloads

I am cutting back hulls in order to roll crimp black powder loads. I find cutting back beyond the folds produces the best crimps, but results in a loaded hull shorter than 2 1/2". As I only shoot doubles or single barrel shotguns, is there any detrimental effect in loads only measuring 2 1/4"? I've found loading equal volume of powder/shot, over powder card and shot cup with cushion removed and over shot card works out well. Any thoughts?

Last edited by danth; 09-29-2020 at 12:22 AM.
danth is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-01-2020, 06:03 AM   #2

Member #16956
I have had the best results loading black powder shotshells using Federal papers. Fortunately the trap and skeet ranges keep a good supply of once fired paper shells available, but you are limited to 12 gauge. Equal volume powder and shot, card and filler wads is my recipe and hard to go wrong. Black powder availability is beginning to become an annoying issue though, and the black powder substitutes are expensive half measures for people who don't like to clean shotguns.
4575wcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:36 AM   #3

Member #18018
Thanks for your reply. I've never used black powder substitutes and after investigating, looks like there really isn't any advantage over black, other than availability. Most stated cleanup is no better/worse. Do you agree? Also, is there a problem in reducing length of hull for a better roll crimp? Best, Dan
danth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2020, 05:59 AM   #4

Member #16956
I always use regular 2F black in my shotguns. I clean with boiling water laced with dish soap, the metal getting hot enough to self dry. Then WD40 while still warm if the gun will be stored awhile. The paper case is much more friendly to shorten or roll crimp, especially if you have a means to warm them to soften the wax a bit. A wood dowel sized to fit inside and a utility knife set up some way to control length makes the cleanest job of shortening. Other than for waterfowl or rainy weather, I'll take a paper case over plastic any day, but they are not as durable or as available. Somebody needs to start up another black powder mill or two, and start making paper cases again, our reloading component situation is beginning to get ridiculous.
4575wcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:49 PM   #5

Member #7073
Sent you a PM
packrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:47 PM   #6

Member #18534
Originally Posted by danth View Post
I am cutting back hulls in order to roll crimp black powder loads. I find cutting back beyond the folds produces the best crimps, but results in a loaded hull shorter than 2 1/2". As I only shoot doubles or single barrel shotguns, is there any detrimental effect in loads only measuring 2 1/4"? I've found loading equal volume of powder/shot, over powder card and shot cup with cushion removed and over shot card works out well. Any thoughts?
There shouldn't be any problem with hulls that don't exceed the chamber length of the shotgun. For example a 3 inch shell should not be fired in a gun that is chambered for 2 3/4 inch shells. It can create pressure problems in the area of the forcing cone, It is okay to shoot shorter hulls in longer chambers. If you have a shotgun chambered for 3 1/2 inch you can shoot 2 3/4 inch and 3 inch in it as well as 3 1/2 inch shells.
lithargoel@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote