How many weigh shot and powder? - Page 2 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

How many weigh shot and powder?

This is a discussion on How many weigh shot and powder? within the Shotgun Reloading forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; I've weighed the drop from each charge bar so I know what I'm dropping with a given shot size - after that I don't feel ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Reloading

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2020, 07:45 PM   #11

Member #15938
I've weighed the drop from each charge bar so I know what I'm dropping with a given shot size - after that I don't feel the need to weigh shot again. My MEC charge bars are quite close to their indicated value for #7 1/2 or #8 hard shot.

I spot check the powder charge periodically - maybe once or twice each box that I load, just to be sure that I'm dropping what I think I'm dropping.
pbansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-24-2020, 08:34 PM   #12

Member #17576
Originally Posted by packrat View Post
You should weigh your shot and powder drop from time to time to make sure your loader is dialed in....if your throwing 7/8 oz. and your recipe is for loading 1 0z. what does your crimp look like.???
If the weight is a matter of being soft lead or magnum the crimp won't change because the bar is operating on bulk, not weight. That said, I check the powder charge every once in a while but always return the first couple of throws due to anticipated settling after a period. Shot? It is what it is.

tp
T-Pee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:34 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Member #148
its why manufacturers make all the bars bigger, so it can be used by a wider customer base. same can be said for the bars made smaller, for litigation reasons, so customers wont overload hulls.
and just when you think you got it figured out, the lead and powder co's change their product, forcing you to buy something new from the press makers. all the gun industry is in bed with each other. $$$
NSSA All American
Certified NRA Shotgun Instructor
Skeet & Trap Range Owner

Last edited by bobski; 09-25-2020 at 05:36 AM.
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2020, 10:09 AM   #14

Member #7073
willism...You must be using a small loader like a Lee loader.? Some of the shooters here are using progressive press that pump out a shell with every pull of the loader handle and checking every powder charge and shot drip would be difficult to say the least...I have used one of the Lee one at a time loaders and you can make a good shell, its fun but slow..

Last edited by packrat; 09-25-2020 at 10:12 AM.
packrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:41 PM   #15
WWT

Member #15792
I try to keep in mind that I'm shooting for FUN and have no need to load anything hot enough to require such hyper care with my loads. Did a few that warranted such care in the past but am more comfortable in the middle of the road in my old age.
RKB and packrat like this.
WWT is offline   Reply With Quote