Creating 20 gauge buckshot rounds - Page 2 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Creating 20 gauge buckshot rounds

This is a discussion on Creating 20 gauge buckshot rounds within the Shotgun Reloading forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; ebay claims to have some #4 buckshot molds but they aren't cheap. You can try there....

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Reloading

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2020, 08:59 PM   #11

Member #16658
ebay claims to have some #4 buckshot molds but they aren't cheap. You can try there.
TheMohawk likes this.
$$bn598Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-04-2020, 01:18 PM   #12

Member #7073
themohawk, Sent you a PM about some 00 buck shot pellets for reloading....
TheMohawk likes this.
packrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:14 PM   #13

Member #17580
If ammo suppliers are out of stock ( which seems to be a Massive scheme as of late ) try unconventional sources . Their NOT gonna be cheap ,regardless of sourcing . For .250" Diameter balls which is under 00 Buck dia. of .330"

Steel or Lead , they have them . FYI : Steel is just north of $4.00 per #250 balls and Lead is $ 88.54 per 1500 balls or 5 lb. You can do the math .

https://www.mcmaster.com/metal-balls...hot-and-balls/
packrat and TheMohawk like this.

Last edited by OU12/20; 08-05-2020 at 07:24 PM.
OU12/20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2020, 10:51 PM   #14

Member #16968
You don't even really NEED lead balls. All you REALLY NEED is a scale to know you are putting the proper weight of lead in the wad for the powder charge.

It was not uncommon for people in muzzle loading days to pound a round ball flat and cut it in to cubes, then use their rifle as a shot gun for small game.

I've loaded HUNDREDS of "buck shot" shells AND shot them, using nothing but the sprues cut from the top of pouring all sorts of bullets. At 25-50 yard ranges they do every thing I want buck shot to do. ABSOLUTELY will ruin a coons whole day. Beaver, possum, coyote same old same old. I have no doubt they will do the same for any other reasonable size target.

I just weighed out an ounce and a quarter of them and then pulled ONE out. Then drop an once and a quarter powder charge and push the wad down, drop the weighed lead and crimp 'em.

Cheap, devastating, lot of fun to shoot.
TheMohawk likes this.

Last edited by Jack Ryan; 08-08-2020 at 01:31 PM.
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:33 AM   #15

Member #7073
https://www.mcmaster.com/metal-balls...hot-and-balls/ by ou12/20

I have been buying from Mcmaster-Carr for over 20 years and have there printed large catalog that is prized {not easy to get} and I did not know that they sold lead balls....
Thank you for posting that packrat..
Jack Ryan and TheMohawk like this.

Last edited by packrat; 08-06-2020 at 09:39 AM.
packrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:20 PM   #16

Member #17876
Originally Posted by packrat View Post
Is there a Cabela's/Bass Pro Shops close to you.? They do not seem to have a shortage of ammo. Right now they have a sale on shot shells and guns and hunting.. Aug. 6-26 any way in our two Cabela's/Bass pro Shops stores in Utah.
No 20 gauge buckshot there. I've been watching
TheMohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:32 PM   #17

Member #17580
Originally Posted by packrat View Post
https://www.mcmaster.com/metal-balls...hot-and-balls/ by ou12/20

I have been buying from Mcmaster-Carr for over 20 years and have there printed large catalog that is prized {not easy to get} and I did not know that they sold lead balls....
Thank you for posting that packrat..
I've has an account with McMaster Carr since 76 and if they Don't have it , I look at

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/

There are additional places for example Polishing Media sources

https://www.kramerindustriesonline.c...umbling-media/

There are several industrial sources which sell bulk , I.E. lower prices but Volume weight ,in addition to shipping can spank a budget quickly .
GROUP purchases eases the pain .
OU12/20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:55 AM   #18

Member #18534
You do have a long way to go. Iíve heard of some desperate individuals, who just find a supply of the buckshot size pellets they want. They, then, careful pry up the fold crimp on the bird shot shells they have, and pour out the bird shot, and use the buckshot as a substitute to fill the shot collar and reseal the shell case crimp. Your other option is learning how to properly reload. When my spouse and I got together we picked up a couple of single barrel 20 gauge shotguns and then a 20 gauge LEE LOAD-ALL press, it came with a load chart and how to use the press to reload. At the time, it was a cheap way into the game of reloading shotshells. Overtime I have progress to a MEC press, it seem to provide a better fold crimp than the LEE, but the LEE press is functional. To function with the press you, of course, will need components: primers, powder, wads, and shot., at that time I pick up a bag of empty 20 gauge shotshell cases for reloading. You should check the load chart provided before making your powder selection, There are different powders some for shotguns, some for rifles you will need a shotgun powder, we started out with Blue Dot, but there are numerous others. To further develop your understanding you would be wise as many have suggested to pick up a reloading manual. - Gun Nut.
lithargoel@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote