Feel free to jump in - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Feel free to jump in

This is a discussion on Feel free to jump in within the Shotgun Reloading forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; The board is not had much going on lately so had time to ponder. What all powders do you see used in your area? Around ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Reloading

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2020, 03:41 PM   #1

Member #17442
Feel free to jump in

The board is not had much going on lately so had time to ponder. What all powders do you see used in your area? Around here trap shooters it's Red and Green Dot. Skeet and Sporting Clays it's Clays and Titewad Clay Dot and E3 20/28. So speak out what do you see in your area? One more question, do you reload One Eyed Shooter?
ramblinrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-23-2020, 04:14 PM   #2

Member #9178
Originally Posted by ramblinrebel View Post
The board is not had much going on lately so had time to ponder. What all powders do you see used in your area? Around here trap shooters it's Red and Green Dot. Skeet and Sporting Clays it's Clays and Titewad Clay Dot and E3 20/28. So speak out what do you see in your area? One more question, do you reload One Eyed Shooter?
Nope. The one eyed shooter does not reload
There are a couple of reasons I don't reload. First would be the initial cost of the equipment and materials. Next is that our house really doesn't have a dedicated place that I could use to set up the equipment. At least not a place that would be air conditioned and humidity controlled. I do have a small area where I can store about 20 flats of shells and I usually buy when they are on sale or have Freight Free deals. If I run short I belong to a club where I can buy a couple of flats to hold us over. Considering that we shoot year round I have no "Down Time" when I could spend an entire day at that project.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:26 PM   #3

Member #1759
Around here it is mostly Clays, universal, International, Titewad, 296, Lilgun, and Red dot all for skeet. UI don't shoot trap and don't talk with those guys enough to know what is dominant for them.
dawgs2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2020, 05:39 PM   #4
RKB

Member #2031
let's see......for trap loads I have Red Dot/Promo, Extra-lite, 700X, Green Dot. 16ga - Red Dot/Promo, 700X, Universal, International, Green Dot, Unique. 20ga and 28ga - Green Dot and Unique are my favorites. 410 - 296.
I seldom load 12ga, There are enough decent factory loads available for the same or slightly more $$ than I can load for. I load all my 20ga loads because you can't buy a reasonably-priced 3/4oz 20ga. For my 16ga, any factory stuff is scarce and target loads are mail-order only with horrendous shipping costs. That's ok, I have about 15K new hulls, twice that in wads and primers, and the above-mentioned powders, all in sealed 8lb jugs plus the opened ones I operate out of daily.
As for what other powders folks around here are using, same story - very little loading going on in 12/20.
20/28 powder is a favorite for those two sub-gauges. My #1 shooting partner likes WSF for his 20's, 296 for 410, and that is all he loads for.
410 loaders use 300MP or 296.
ramblinrebel likes this.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:13 PM   #5

Member #16526
Only so many ways to skin a cat. Red dot, 700x , universal, clays and many others get the job done.
southdakbearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:30 AM   #6

Member #5570
We can get pretty much anything when we have a gun show at the Phoenix fairgrounds outdoors.
Flash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Member #1368
But will that be the case in the near future, Flash?
Right now, my local LGS (also a F/T police CXaptain) can't get ammo for the CCW classes he holds; he's dipping into his .22lr stash for that purpose.

We are our own worst enemy when a potential panic-induced shortage looms in the future. Folks who might buy 1# of powder and some primers at the local store are buying 8# jugs by the case and primers by the sleeve - more than their next two lifetimes.
I know I can get my target wads, and I bought powder before I moved from my club; shot is decent enough for the time being and primers are plentiful - for now. If I was currently living where I used to and was shooting 2-3X/week however, I'd be running seriously low
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:56 PM   #8

Member #7073
Quote "We can get pretty much anything when we have a gun show at the Phoenix fairgrounds outdoors."

I would love to go to a GUN SHOW, but here in Utah they have all been cancelled for the time being....
packrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:13 AM   #9

Member #17576
Around here Clays and Unique in 12g. I was handed a sealed 8# keg of PB last year so I might try it just for fun but love my Clays. #29 MEC bushing (16.4 grains) for 1oz loads in the Nitro 27 hulls I got from "oneounceload" recently at average 1225fps. Clean-burning and consistent. I'm good with it!
T-Pee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:03 AM   #10

Member #16968
Don't have clue what any one else uses unless I run out and have to bum some.

I'm stocked up with Red Dot, Green, Blue, Lil Gun, not sure what all else but those are the big bottles.