7/8 loads - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

7/8 loads

This is a discussion on 7/8 loads within the Shotgun Reloading forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; Loaded up a batch of these tried em today. There is no need to shoot anything else. I found out my shooting didn't fall off ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Reloading

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2020, 05:58 PM   #1

Member #17442
7/8 loads

Loaded up a batch of these tried em today. There is no need to shoot anything else. I found out my shooting didn't fall off any. It is all in your head. Good call oneounce
oneounceload, DaveSy and Jack Ryan like this.
ramblinrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-26-2020, 10:46 PM   #2

Member #17576
What are you shooting them in? My Affinity 3 won't quite fully cycle some factory 7/8 loads. Might have been some underpowered factory rounds though. Don't remember what brand they were. My 1oz loads at 1180fps are 100% though.
T-Pee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:57 PM   #3

Member #9178
Originally Posted by ramblinrebel View Post
Loaded up a batch of these tried em today. There is no need to shoot anything else. I found out my shooting didn't fall off any. It is all in your head. Good call oneounce
We were shooting the other day and met a fellow with a Beretta 391 the would not cycle 7/8 oz loads. I gave him some 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz and no problem. The only time I have shot 7/8 oz loads was when we were shooting Bunker trap and I was using my Silver Pigeon. I am a bit concerned about using them in the A400. Thoughts ?

Old 06-27-2020, 05:23 PM   #4

Member #17442
I am shooting my Beretta 682 with the 7/8 loads. They are running 1250 fps. If shooting an auto you would probably need them 1250-1300 fps. We might should get a word from oneounce on this.
ramblinrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:23 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Member #1368
My 3/4oz loads run 1275 and perform flawlessly in my semis.............my lighter loads running 1210 also worked but were dirty with incomplete burns whereas bumping things up to 1275 gets complete burns and great performance.
DaveSy and Jack Ryan like this.
oneounceload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:09 PM   #6

Member #460
Opinions are like exhaust pipes........Everybody's got one. Your's matters no more than any other forum member. Me I'll stick to 1 1/8 oz. in 12 ga........7/8 in 20 and 11/16 in 410. Any way you cut it MORE SHOT equals a better chance on the bird. Be it clay or feathers.
DaveSy likes this.
The Happy Kaboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:49 PM   #7

Member #17576
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
My 3/4oz loads run 1275 and perform flawlessly in my semis.............my lighter loads running 1210 also worked but were dirty with incomplete burns whereas bumping things up to 1275 gets complete burns and great performance.
What semis are you shooting oneounce? Gas guns? I imagine those 3/4oz loads likely wouldn't have enough recoil to operate Franchi and Benelli inertia guns.
Sure sounds like some comfy shooting though!

tp
T-Pee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:44 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Originally Posted by The Happy Kaboomer View Post
Opinions are like exhaust pipes........Everybody's got one. Your's matters no more than any other forum member. Me I'll stick to 1 1/8 oz. in 12 ga........7/8 in 20 and 11/16 in 410. Any way you cut it MORE SHOT equals a better chance on the bird. Be it clay or feathers.
While more pellets is nice; recoil is cumulative and seriously debilitating; maybe if you learn to shoot better, you'd be surprised that a lower payload at the same speed will let you
A) shoot more
B) get through a tournament with less fatigue and tiredness
C) eliminate recoil fatigue
oneounceload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:32 PM   #9

Member #9178
While more pellets is nice; recoil is cumulative and seriously debilitating; maybe if you learn to shoot better, you'd be surprised that a lower payload at the same speed will let you
A) shoot more
There is a lot of truth in your statement. I dropped to 1 oz because Natchez made a shipping error and I thought I would give it a try rather than go thru the hassle of sending 4 flats back. Now I am considering going to #7.5 shot instead of #8.Everything I have read and seen shows that the energy generated by the 7.5 can more than make up for the fewer pellets. Just my "Exhaust Pipe" according to Chuck Hawks,
oneounceload likes this.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:26 PM   #10

Member #460
A) shoot more
I shoot a lot. Doves/clays and quail. Recoil is a non issue to me. Still more pellets per shot equals a(thicker pattern) better chance of hitting the bird. Period! BTW I have my own personal skeet field. So I can shoot 24/7 if I want to. If all I wanted was a 7/8 oz. load. All I would shoot is my 20's.
The Happy Kaboomer is offline   Reply With Quote