7/8 loads - Page 2 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

7/8 loads

This is a discussion on 7/8 loads within the Shotgun Reloading forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; Recoil will become an issue for you down the line as the damage is cumulative. I am almost 64 and I love my 3/4oz reloads ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Reloading

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2020, 07:36 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Recoil will become an issue for you down the line as the damage is cumulative. I am almost 64 and I love my 3/4oz reloads over the 1-1/8 Nitros - but I do shoot those at tournaments and the reloads at practice.

You should try 3/4oz in 12 and 20 - easy on the shoulder and will easily break any skeet target
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-29-2020, 10:15 AM   #12

Member #5570
Originally Posted by The Happy Kaboomer View Post
Opinions are like exhaust pipes........Everybody's got one. Your's matters no more than any other forum member. Me I'll stick to 1 1/8 oz. in 12 ga........7/8 in 20 and 11/16 in 410. Any way you cut it MORE SHOT equals a better chance on the bird. Be it clay or feathers.
I've found that not to be true in .410 bore. If there's a difference between oz and 11/16, I've yet to find it in all the years I've hunted and shot clays.

It's because the wad doesn't enclose the shot that's over oz. and thus it gets scrubbed while going down the barrel and spreads out greatly after exiting the muzzle. The end effect is that you get very little more shot on target because of this.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:51 PM   #13

Member #9178
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
I've found that not to be true in .410 bore. If there's a difference between oz and 11/16, I've yet to find it in all the years I've hunted and shot clays.

It's because the wad doesn't enclose the shot that's over oz. and thus it gets scrubbed while going down the barrel and spreads out greatly after exiting the muzzle. The end effect is that you get very little more shot on target because of this.
I find that very interesting.... I assume you are speaking strictly on the .410 bore. Can you tell me if the same effect is also true on 28-20-12 gauge. I imagine the weights are different because the wad sizes different. Can you compute any weights fro the different gauges ?

Old 06-30-2020, 07:45 PM   #14

Member #460
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
Recoil will become an issue for you down the line as the damage is cumulative. I am almost 64 and I love my 3/4oz reloads over the 1-1/8 Nitros - but I do shoot those at tournaments and the reloads at practice.

You should try 3/4oz in 12 and 20 - easy on the shoulder and will easily break any skeet target
I'm 66. I shoot a lot of big rifles and handguns as well as shotguns. The ONLY gun I own that recoils a lot is my stubby 45-70 with 405 gr bullets. After about 6-8 shots I'm ready to put it away. Still if all I shot was 3/4 or 7/8 oz. loads it would all be in my lighter 20 ga's. Plus I pour all of my own shot from free lead so lead cost is not a factor.

Ain't life grant in that we can shoot what we want and not have follow what others use?

Last edited by The Happy Kaboomer; 06-30-2020 at 07:48 PM.
The Happy Kaboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:18 AM   #15

Member #9178
I'm 66. I shoot a lot of big rifles and handguns as well as shotguns. The ONLY gun I own that recoils a lot is my stubby 45-70 with 405 gr bullets. After about 6-8 shots I'm ready to put it away. Still if all I shot was 3/4 or 7/8 oz. loads it would all be in my lighter 20 ga's. Plus I pour all of my own shot from free lead so lead cost is not a factor.

Ain't life grant in that we can shoot what we want and not have follow what others use?
Life is grand any day you can get out and shoot.
One of the best things I find about sites like this is the exchange of ideas and tips that others have picked up through out their years of shooting. I have often thought we should have a forum solely for ideas and hacks to be exchanged.
oneounceload and RKB like this.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:45 AM   #16

Member #460
Originally Posted by Flash View Post

Then. Prior to 1964 how did we ever hit anything? 1963-64 Remington introduced the plastic shotshell wad............?

BTW You get more shot deformation in the bottom of the wad from ignition than a few scrubbing the bore as you say.
The Happy Kaboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:38 PM   #17
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Originally Posted by one eyed shooter View Post
Life is grand any day you can get out and shoot.
One of the best things I find about sites like this is the exchange of ideas and tips that others have picked up through out their years of shooting. I have often thought we should have a forum solely for ideas and hacks to be exchanged.

You can always start a thread - and if stays that way, as in tips and tricks, there should be no reason we can't make it a "sticky" at the top of a forum so it is easy to find. Depending on the tips and tricks, it might necessitate several in distinct forums (like one in reloading, for example)
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:31 PM   #18

Member #5570
Originally Posted by one eyed shooter View Post
I find that very interesting.... I assume you are speaking strictly on the .410 bore. Can you tell me if the same effect is also true on 28-20-12 gauge. I imagine the weights are different because the wad sizes different. Can you compute any weights fro the different gauges ?
No, the same isn't true on other gauges as you can get wads made for the various charge weights in other gauges. That's not true with .410 bore.

Then. Prior to 1964 how did we ever hit anything? 1963-64 Remington introduced the plastic shotshell wad............?

BTW You get more shot deformation in the bottom of the wad from ignition than a few scrubbing the bore as you say.
We hit things because we contained our shots inside 25 yards and we choked all guns full choke to try and compensate.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote