base wad height and loadings - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

base wad height and loadings

This is a discussion on base wad height and loadings within the Shotgun Reloading forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; Hi guys, I'm new to the site and have a few questions regarding the loading of Federal top gun hulls that I'm hoping you can ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Reloading

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2020, 12:24 PM   #1

Member #17720
base wad height and loadings

Hi guys, I'm new to the site and have a few questions regarding the loading of Federal top gun hulls that I'm hoping you can shed some light on

I've been reloading Federal top gun hulls with the paper basewad and have had good results with 1oz #9 shot with 12S0 wads over 18 grs of titewad powder and the same shot and wad combo using 17 grs of 700x.

I tried those same recipes in the top gun hills with plastic basewads and found I get a really deep crimp exposing the shot just like a slug round looks. After cutting open both hulls I see that the reason for the difference in stack height is because the plastic base wads sit much lower in the hull than the paper base wads. Simple reason now I need a simple remedy and not "don't use those hulls" lol.

I can't seem to find a recipe regarding these particular shells. In my 5th Edition Lyman recipe book it shows a Remington Plastic with 1/4" plastic basewad that looks to be a straight wall hull like the Federals so I was thinking of trying out one of the loadings to see if it would work.

I have heard of using a single Cheerio in the bottom of the hull to take up the space and then load out as normal but I don't want to get off the tried and true just yet. Rather be safe than sorry.

Next question is why on some recipes does the book use tapered wads in straight walled hulls and straight walled wads in tapered hulls? Are these typo errors or are these legitimate loadings? And if I chose to change the combination to match wad and hull shape would that change the pressure created when the shell is fired?

All responses appreciated, even sarcastic ones.
craniacal is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-27-2020, 07:12 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Cheerio would go on the top, not the bottom or it will get crushed and could clog your drop tube.
Sounds like an overshot card or two would do the trick.

Alliant shows 3 loads for your components starting at 17.6, 18.6 and ending at 19.6

Are you applying any wad pressure?
oneounceload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:21 AM   #3

Member #17720
Guess I had a brain fart when I said bottom, yes I meant for it to be on the top. I was skeptical of the cheerio trick because I figured the final crimp would crush it to crumbs anyway and not do it's job of filling up that space.

Reading back through old posts I saw someone said they used airsoft pellets so when I got home last night I raided my sons stash and sure enough seven of those placed on top of the shot gave me a proper crimp. I'll shoot them tonight and see how they do.

I don't have any Alliant powders atm so I never checked their load data but I will look into it.

I'm reloading on a MEC Sizemaster and the wad pressure is currently factory set at 30lbs.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:31 AM   #4

Member #12378
Buy a 7/8 oz. wad for those hulls, save the Cheerios for breakfast.

Steve
Old 06-27-2020, 10:33 AM   #5

Member #12378
Originally Posted by craniacal View Post
I'm reloading on a MEC Sizemaster and the wad pressure is currently factory set at 30lbs.
I would back it off to about 5lbs., just enough so the indicator twitches.

Steve
Old 06-27-2020, 11:24 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Originally Posted by craniacal View Post
Guess I had a brain fart when I said bottom, yes I meant for it to be on the top. I was skeptical of the cheerio trick because I figured the final crimp would crush it to crumbs anyway and not do it's job of filling up that space.

Reading back through old posts I saw someone said they used airsoft pellets so when I got home last night I raided my sons stash and sure enough seven of those placed on top of the shot gave me a proper crimp. I'll shoot them tonight and see how they do.

I don't have any Alliant powders atm so I never checked their load data but I will look into it.

If you need 7 pellets, then there is a serious stack-height problem.
Remove ALL wad pressure. The indicator should just barely move when the arm is fully downward; then tighten it there.

Wad pressure is not needed with plastic wads.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:11 PM   #7

Member #5570
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
If you need 7 pellets, then there is a serious stack-height problem.
Remove ALL wad pressure. The indicator should just barely move when the arm is fully downward; then tighten it there.

Wad pressure is not needed with plastic wads.
Absolutely true. I've used airsoft pellets to fix a wad height problem in .410s but never more than 1 pellet.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:17 PM   #8

Member #17720
Just to clarify, those 7 pellets lay flat on the shot or 1 layer, not stacked 7 high.

They act like a shot card, no?
Old 06-27-2020, 01:48 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Member #1368
You still shouldn't need that many; you have a serious stack height issue and may need to use a different wad and/or adjust your crimp a little.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:51 PM   #10

Member #12378
I am truly missing something! Why would someone hand stack 7 pellets into each hull they load, increasing the cost of the load, instead of buying a different wad for the different hull.

Steve