A couple of reloading questions - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

A couple of reloading questions

This is a discussion on A couple of reloading questions within the Shotgun Reloading forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; HI All - New to the forum - new to shot shell reloading... I bought a used Hornady 366, and it seems to work fine ...



Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Reloading

Like Tree12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2020, 08:36 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Member #17458
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 15
A couple of reloading questions

HI All -

New to the forum - new to shot shell reloading...

I bought a used Hornady 366, and it seems to work fine (except every once in a while it doesn't drop a primer).

A friend gave me a bunch of hulls (old Winchester AA's) and wads (very old Winchester WAA12's)

They loaded up fine in my press with 1 and 1/8 oz of number 8 shot over 17 gr of red dot with a Winchester 209 primer.

I shot the 1st 75 I loaded up and when i picked them up off the skeet range I found what appears to be white melted plastic stuck to the inside of many hulls, anyone else ever seen this?

I was able to remove said white crud pretty easily and reload the shells a second time, I am out of the Winchester wads now and I am now using some claybuster wads the look the same, but they are orange. I hope this problem does not appear again, as it is kind of a pain to de-crud the hulls, slows down the reloading process quite a bit.

Also I have been advised by the old time shotgun shooters/reloaders to move to Remington gun club hulls as there are always 1 fired ones around at my club in large numbers.

I was told I can continue to use the same load data, same wad,same shot, same powder and primer?

I did load up one Gun Club hull this way and it looks ok, but thought I'd ask here before I load up any more.

One more question, do you clean your hulls somehow? Just wipe the crud off them with a rag? something???

The AA hulls I loaded for my second time I shot out of a semi auto and they were pretty dirty with soot/carbon, i didn't really notice till i was done reloading and my left hand was black.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

JAG
bullet45acp is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-12-2020, 05:48 PM   #2
RKB
Senior Member
 
RKB's Avatar
 
Member #2031
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Near Knoxville TN
Posts: 2,520
The white melted plastic could be from the old wads, as some plastics age, the plasticizers bleed off and leave them stiff and more easily melted. I've had old, old AA wads crumble in my hands with little effort. If the Claybusters don't do it, and I'm betting that they won't, problem solved. CB's are fine wads, I've kept that company in business for many long years
Gun Clubs are good, the only possible issue is their steel head, some guns with tight chambers have issues with extraction.
As for the soot/dirt/crud, I never worry about it.
P.S. - 1-1/8oz is overkill for skeet. 1oz of lead over 16gr Red Dot will work just as well and kick a lot less. You can go even lower on the shot charge if you wish.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 05:59 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Member #17458
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by RKB View Post
The white melted plastic could be from the old wads, as some plastics age, the plasticizers bleed off and leave them stiff and more easily melted. I've had old, old AA wads crumble in my hands with little effort. If the Claybusters don't do it, and I'm betting that they won't, problem solved. CB's are fine wads, I've kept that company in business for many long years
Gun Clubs are good, the only possible issue is their steel head, some guns with tight chambers have issues with extraction.
As for the soot/dirt/crud, I never worry about it.
P.S. - 1-1/8oz is overkill for skeet. 1oz of lead over 16gr Red Dot will work just as well and kick a lot less. You can go even lower on the shot charge if you wish.
thanks for the info RKB!
bullet45acp is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 05-13-2020, 08:12 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
jwsmith1959's Avatar
 
Member #15516
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Orchard, TX
Posts: 177
Agree with RKB on the old wads. Also, if you are content with 1 1/8, bump your powder charge a grain to get you to 1200 fps and it will increase your pressure (still a very safe range), which should help with the sootiness.
jwsmith1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:20 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Member #17458
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by jwsmith1959 View Post
Agree with RKB on the old wads. Also, if you are content with 1 1/8, bump your powder charge a grain to get you to 1200 fps and it will increase your pressure (still a very safe range), which should help with the sootiness.
Thanks JWSmith - i will try that, luckily the old press came with about 20 powder bushings
bullet45acp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:08 PM   #6
Super Moderator
 
oneounceload's Avatar
 
Member #1368
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,963
I agree with RKB. absolutely NO need for 1-1/8 oz in skeet; 7/8 or 3/4 in a 12 gauge will crush every skeet target out there.....and save you money on expensive shot and save your shoulder from damaging recoil. My 3/4oz oz gauge loads get me 533 loads from a bag of shot, your 1-1/8 get you about 350; that's over 7 boxes of shells from the same amount of shot.
RKB likes this.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:15 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Member #17458
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
I agree with RKB. absolutely NO need for 1-1/8 oz in skeet; 7/8 or 3/4 in a 12 gauge will crush every skeet target out there.....and save you money on expensive shot and save your shoulder from damaging recoil. My 3/4oz oz gauge loads get me 533 loads from a bag of shot, your 1-1/8 get you about 350; that's over 7 boxes of shells from the same amount of shot.
Thanks OneOunce -i will keep this in mind!

JAG
bullet45acp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:11 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Member #17550
Join Date: May 2020
Location: I live in Utah
Posts: 16
Likewise, I started with 1 ounce loads and have since backed off to between 3/4 and 7/8 and can't see any difference in the amount of clay I hit. I've even resurrected my old 16 double with about the same load. After a day of shooting, my shoulder thanks me.
oneounceload and RKB like this.
griffiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:50 PM   #9
Super Moderator
 
oneounceload's Avatar
 
Member #1368
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,963
Originally Posted by griffiga View Post
Likewise, I started with 1 ounce loads and have since backed off to between 3/4 and 7/8 and can't see any difference in the amount of clay I hit. I've even resurrected my old 16 double with about the same load. After a day of shooting, my shoulder thanks me.
ESPECIALLY as we get older...................
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:06 PM   #10
RKB
Senior Member
 
RKB's Avatar
 
Member #2031
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Near Knoxville TN
Posts: 2,520
Originally Posted by griffiga View Post
Likewise, I started with 1 ounce loads and have since backed off to between 3/4 and 7/8 and can't see any difference in the amount of clay I hit. I've even resurrected my old 16 double with about the same load. After a day of shooting, my shoulder thanks me.
Good to hear that you also shoot the One True Gauge. I'm the resident 16ga fanatic on this forum, I have 11 of them. 5 - sxs, 2 - o/u, 2 - pumps, 1 - autoloader, and one single-shot. I shoot all of them fairly regularly, except the single, it's being worked on.
oneounceload likes this.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On