Aged Powder - Page 2 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Aged Powder

This is a discussion on Aged Powder within the Shotgun Reloading forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; I used up the last of my paper bag 4831 about 10 years ago. My Dad bought it in the early 60's and sealed it ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Reloading

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2020, 07:25 AM   #11

Member #15516
I used up the last of my paper bag 4831 about 10 years ago. My Dad bought it in the early 60's and sealed it up in the 3 lb. coffee cans that were all steel that you needed a key to open. When he died in 1973 there were 10 or so that were still sealed up. I shot that powder in just about every rifle I could. There weren't any I couldn't find a good load for.
oneounceload and NAHMINT like this.
jwsmith1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-01-2020, 02:52 PM   #12

Member #7073
I have been given old powder from sellers of reloading tools that shooters are selling out,
some are in metal cans, old cardboard square cans, metal & cardboard kags ect. Not one has ever been bad.....
oneounceload and NAHMINT like this.
packrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:17 AM   #13

Member #18534
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Getting back into the clays after being away for ~40years. Recently purchased all needed supplies to begin reloading again and found after going through my old supplies that I have ~1 pound of Dupont 700X from that era. Is it worth using or should I just dispose?
I once had some H-4895 left over from years back, when I found it. It had eaten through the containers which I believe was made of heavy cardboard (it was old stuff) I salvage quite a bit from the bottom of the container that I found it in. I then tried it out in my 8 mm Mauser rifle with some cast loads. It fired fine, sending the bullet down range to the target, but unlike the recoil I might of had from fresh powder, it felt like I was shooting a 22 long rifle. I've found in most cases powder can have quite a long shelf life. What can happen is they may dry out a bit, which means they become lighter, so you might want to reduce your load levels by about 10 % when you initially give them a try. - Gun Nut
lithargoel@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2020, 03:17 PM   #14

Member #5570
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
heck im loading 2400 out of tin kegs.
I'm loading 2400 out of cardboard kegs, so I guess yours is older.

Bought mine in 1970. Works well in .410 bore.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote