My new to me MEC older 600 Jr. ? {not marked} - Page 2 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

My new to me MEC older 600 Jr. ? {not marked}

This is a discussion on My new to me MEC older 600 Jr. ? {not marked} within the Shotgun Reloading forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing, so here's a picture of what I have from an Amazon Ad: https://www.amazon.com/MEC-8850-SHOR...y&sr=8-1-fkmr0...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Reloading

Like Tree4Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2019, 09:29 AM   #11

Member #5570
I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing, so here's a picture of what I have from an Amazon Ad:
https://www.amazon.com/MEC-8850-SHOR...y&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-11-2019, 01:10 PM   #12

Member #460
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing, so here's a picture of what I have from an Amazon Ad:
https://www.amazon.com/MEC-8850-SHOR...y&sr=8-1-fkmr0

That's it. I have the same for my 3" loader. Used it once. Worked well.
The Happy Kaboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:48 PM   #13

Member #5570
It does work very well. I shot sporting clays with a .410 two different occasions using 3" and 2-". I'd shoot a presentation with one, then the other.

The 3" didn't really do much more than the 2-" so I pretty much quit using 3". Kept the hulls, though, in case I change my mind.

Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM   #14

Member #1759
Unless you use wads with shot cups that reach up long enough to include all of the shot in the 3" shell, the shot that is not in the cup gets deformed enough to make the pattern erratic. That is probably why you don't see any improvement when using 3" vs 2 1/2.
dawgs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM   #15

Member #460
Originally Posted by dawgs2 View Post
Unless you use wads with shot cups that reach up long enough to include all of the shot in the 3" shell, the shot that is not in the cup gets deformed enough to make the pattern erratic. That is probably why you don't see any improvement when using 3" vs 2 1/2.
I do see an improvement shooting doves with the 3" over the 2 1/2. My kill ratio is higher. Only the outer pellets above the shot cup "scrub the barrel" as you say. If you want a full length shot cup for the 3". Ballistic products offers one.
The Happy Kaboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 07:19 AM   #16

Member #5570
Originally Posted by dawgs2 View Post
That's exactly what the problem is. It's kind of reminiscent of the days before shot cups and the reason why almost all shotguns were full choke in those days.