Load Crimping Issue - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Load Crimping Issue

This is a discussion on Load Crimping Issue within the Shotgun Reloading forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; So I did my first reloads this week & ran into crimping issues with my Lee. Pulling the handle all the way down resulted in ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Reloading

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2019, 05:04 PM   #1

Member #12041
Load Crimping Issue

So I did my first reloads this week & ran into crimping issues with my Lee. Pulling the handle all the way down resulted in concave crimps with a hole in the center that allowed bb's to fall out. I used less handle pressure ever so carefully & got better looking crimps but with no ridge around the edge. Some loads even expanded & had to be re-crimped multiple times. What gives? A friend suggested I may be missing something internally that makes the ridge.

Anyone familiar with Lee & its attributes let me know what you think or what I should look for.
737Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-26-2019, 07:17 AM   #2

Member #12378
When you pulled the handle all the way down,did you have the ridge?
Having concave crimps when pulling the handle all the way down tells me you are under filling the hull or you might have a wad that does not work well with the weights of the powder and shot you are loading. Not all "book" loads work well in all reloaders, especially the Lee. List your load components and we can help you more.

Steve
Old 06-26-2019, 08:17 AM   #3

Member #12041
Originally Posted by SteveY View Post
When you pulled the handle all the way down,did you have the ridge?
Having concave crimps when pulling the handle all the way down tells me you are under filling the hull or you might have a wad that does not work well with the weights of the powder and shot you are loading. Not all "book" loads work well in all reloaders, especially the Lee. List your load components and we can help you more.

Steve
No ridge with any of my first 100 loads. But they did fire without any problems. Here's my recipe:
Claybuster CB8118-12 STANDARD 12ga 1 1/8oz
Fed 209a primers
Red Dot Powder
#9 Shot
Federal Target Loads (hulls) that had been shot once

After reviewing the Lee manual they too recommend to first consider replacing the wad or adding length to it.
So should I add a spacer or replace wads with something longer?
ddkonrai likes this.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:11 PM   #4

Member #13937
Originally Posted by 737Pete View Post
No ridge with any of my first 100 loads. But they did fire without any problems. Here's my recipe:

Claybuster CB8118-12 STANDARD 12ga 1 1/8oz

Fed 209a primers

Red Dot Powder

#9 Shot

Federal Target Loads (hulls) that had been shot once

After reviewing the Lee manual they too recommend to first consider replacing the wad or adding length to it.

So should I add a spacer or replace wads with something longer?
I tried those hulls. Went crazy darn hulls would open up after crimping too.
Fwiw.
I switched to gunclubs and alot of the headache went away. Another tip, if its just for clays? I dropped down to 7/8 oz for the 12. Seems to work as good or better than 1 1/8 and I save lead shot. I even tried 3/4 oz and it worked fine.
Ymmv

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
737Pete likes this.
ddkonrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:41 AM   #5

Member #12041
Originally Posted by ddkonrai View Post
I tried those hulls. Went crazy darn hulls would open up after crimping too.
Fwiw.
I switched to gunclubs and alot of the headache went away. Another tip, if its just for clays? I dropped down to 7/8 oz for the 12. Seems to work as good or better than 1 1/8 and I save lead shot. I even tried 3/4 oz and it worked fine.
Ymmv

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
I'm going to try one more batch with 1oz loads & appropriate wads. If it doesn't work well, really well then I'm switching to Remington STS & dumping all those Federals I saved.
ddkonrai likes this.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:16 AM   #6

Member #5570
For one thing, you're using the wrong wads for 1 oz loads. The wads you're using are for 1-1/8 oz to 1-1/4 oz loads.

You want the Claybuster CB8100-12 (TGT12) wads. They'll probably fix your problem.
ddkonrai likes this.
Flash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:51 PM   #7

Member #8874
Originally Posted by 737Pete View Post
So I did my first reloads this week & ran into crimping issues with my Lee. Pulling the handle all the way down resulted in concave crimps with a hole in the center that allowed bb's to fall out. I used less handle pressure ever so carefully & got better looking crimps but with no ridge around the edge. Some loads even expanded & had to be re-crimped multiple times. What gives? A friend suggested I may be missing something internally that makes the ridge.

Anyone familiar with Lee & its attributes let me know what you think or what I should look for.
Welcome to the world of reloading. I've been at it for two years. Up until recently my crimps would either be concave, or flat with no ridge ( I call it a shoulder.)I finally sent pictures to mec .I sent him a picture of a dished crimp. He told me that the crimp wasn't deep enough! Well I thought the deeper you go with the crimp, the more dished it would get. What I found out was if you have no ridge (or shoulder) you can dial the crimp deeper. It will then leave a shoulder on the shell, and the crimp will flatten out across the top of the shot. If you dial it deeper, it will dish again.

I couldn't believe it. I'm loading 7/8 and 1 oz gunclubs now with crimps that look better than the factory loads .

Take a couple pictures and connect with a Lee technical guy. I was only one full turn with the finishing crimp, away from great crimps.

FWIW, dished crimps , swirled crimps, light crimps.. they all shoot for me. But I think the more consistent you make the crimp, the more consistent the shell performance. I wish I had a chrono to test.

Jeff
BadaBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:03 PM   #8

Member #1759
Originally Posted by BadaBoom View Post
Welcome to the world of reloading. I've been at it for two years. Up until recently my crimps would either be concave, or flat with no ridge ( I call it a shoulder.)I finally sent pictures to mec .I sent him a picture of a dished crimp. He told me that the crimp wasn't deep enough! Well I thought the deeper you go with the crimp, the more dished it would get. What I found out was if you have no ridge (or shoulder) you can dial the crimp deeper. It will then leave a shoulder on the shell, and the crimp will flatten out across the top of the shot. If you dial it deeper, it will dish again.

I couldn't believe it. I'm loading 7/8 and 1 oz gunclubs now with crimps that look better than the factory loads .

Take a couple pictures and connect with a Lee technical guy. I was only one full turn with the finishing crimp, away from great crimps.

FWIW, dished crimps , swirled crimps, light crimps.. they all shoot for me. But I think the more consistent you make the crimp, the more consistent the shell performance. I wish I had a chrono to test.
He is loading with a Lee Loadall and as I recall there is not much adjustment capability. His first adjustment need to be to get a MEC Mark 600 to replace the Lee.
dawgs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:08 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Member #1368
There is ZERO adjustability with that Lee. It all has to be done by "feel", which is why most folks advise against buying that plastic and zinc contraption.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:40 AM   #10

Member #15938
I loaded 16 gauge for many years with a Lee and then acquired a MEC machine when I started loading 12 gauge. While the shells made with the Lee always went 'bang', there is no comparison between the two machines in terms of the quality of the finished round, especially the crimp. With the right components and load, the Lee will give an acceptable crimp, but it never matches the MEC.

If you're serious about reloading shotgun shells, look for a used MEC and prepare to be thrilled with the results. I now have them in 12, 16 and 20 gauge. Even the humble, single-stage 600 Jr. will produce dramatically better shells than the Lee and will do so more quickly. The MEC machines are simply better.
dawgs2 and ddkonrai like this.
pbansen is offline   Reply With Quote