Load Crimping Issue - Page 2 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Load Crimping Issue

This is a discussion on Load Crimping Issue within the Shotgun Reloading forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; Update on my Lee. After reviewing a bunch of YouTube videos I decided to try a better quality hull. A friend at my local skeet ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Reloading

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2019, 11:41 AM   #11

Member #12041
Update on my Lee. After reviewing a bunch of YouTube videos I decided to try a better quality hull. A friend at my local skeet range, Comal skeet n trap, gave me a box of Winchester AA. The difference was immediate & put a smile on my face. The end.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
737Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-09-2019, 02:44 PM   #12

Member #15938
Originally Posted by 737Pete View Post
Update on my Lee. After reviewing a bunch of YouTube videos I decided to try a better quality hull. A friend at my local skeet range, Comal skeet n trap, gave me a box of Winchester AA. The difference was immediate & put a smile on my face. The end.
Glad that you found a solution!! Happy reloading and shooting!
pbansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:21 AM   #13

Member #15434
Crimp Issues with Lees

I lived with crimp issues for 3 years with Lees. I used a variety of overshot cards for my 12 ga 1 1/8 and 1 oz. AA HS, Nitro 27, STS, Gun Club and Shur Shot heavy dove (gets expensive). I finally bought a Mec 600 JR, well worth the money. The crimp is grmp is a 100% better as the single stage is.
I still use overshot cards that I make out of poster paper, thickness is just right for a good 8 point crimp. I bought a 3/4" circle punch ($10.00). I get about 550 overshot cards out of 1 poster card (23 X 24"). The AAHS always leave a small hole at the top but crimps well. The cards give me a little better crimp and no rattle.

Dave
737Pete likes this.
Dave76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2019, 11:48 AM   #14

Member #12041
Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
I lived with crimp issues for 3 years with Lees. I used a variety of overshot cards for my 12 ga 1 1/8 and 1 oz. AA HS, Nitro 27, STS, Gun Club and Shur Shot heavy dove (gets expensive). I finally bought a Mec 600 JR, well worth the money. The crimp is grmp is a 100% better as the single stage is.
I still use overshot cards that I make out of poster paper, thickness is just right for a good 8 point crimp. I bought a 3/4" circle punch ($10.00). I get about 550 overshot cards out of 1 poster card (23 X 24"). The AAHS always leave a small hole at the top but crimps well. The cards give me a little better crimp and no rattle.

Dave
The last thing I wanted to do was add a step to my Lee by going to an overshot card. I thought if I can't get this right I'm moving on. Fortunately all it took was replacing hulls. Although I did take the advice of one YouTuber & remove a little material from the final crimp tube & reduce handle pressure to about 90-95%. When she gives it up or if I come across a great deal, Mec is next. Maybe even a progressive model. So cool!
737Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:14 PM   #15

Member #7073
That gray AA hull the crimp looks very good. Sometimes a good crimp takes some experimenting with hulls and wads and shot..
packrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:35 AM   #16

Member #16382
I am really new at shotshell reloading, and did have a few crimping problems. But I discovered it's all about wad, shot column height. My Lee press may not be "adjustable", but when my components are correct and correctly installed I get very good crimps (only 8 point so far). Reloading some #4 Buck I had a problem, but I just used a hand tool to apply a bit more pressure to the wad and I got good even crimps...

My 35+ years of reloading centerfire is helpful, but shotshell reloading is a whole different animal...
mikld is offline   Reply With Quote