Suitable Reloader for Skeet - Page 4 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Suitable Reloader for Skeet

This is a discussion on Suitable Reloader for Skeet within the Shotgun Reloading forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; Originally Posted by oneounceload Unless you do like me and load a round that isn't made commercially, like my 3/4oz of 8.5s in 12 gauge ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Reloading

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2019, 09:08 AM   #31

Member #15938
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
Unless you do like me and load a round that isn't made commercially, like my 3/4oz of 8.5s in 12 gauge
That's it in a nutshell. If you want to tailor a load to your needs and preferences, reloading is the way to go. Yes, you can stockpile a commercially available shell when it goes on sale and/or is offered with a rebate, but not everyone is in a position to take advantage of those opportunities. If you use a unique load or just want to duplicate a commercially produced (but sometimes hard to find) load at a reasonable cost, reloading is a great alternative

It's not like reloading shotshells is difficult or unpleasant work, either: I find it interesting, relaxing and fun.
737Pete likes this.
pbansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-05-2019, 01:05 PM   #32

Member #7073
Mec loaders

I see mec reloaders all the time on the used market, was at a big flee market last weekend and found four Mec loaders. I do not need any more loaders but they out there if your looking for one....
737Pete and pbansen like this.
packrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:46 PM   #33

Member #5570
I can't recall a gun show that I've been to that didn't have at least 2 or 3 for sale.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2019, 05:36 PM   #34

Member #15516
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
You can shoot factory Win AAs in 28 for $4.00/box. All it takes is a little planning.
Academy sells them for $8.99/box; Winchester rebate takes off $2/box. Sell the empties for the low price of .12/each and you take another $3/box off.
Academy quit the $8.99 here about 8 months ago. That was how I was getting my 410 hulls. They are back up to about $10.99 for them. Sometimes more.
jwsmith1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:40 PM   #35
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Well, that sucks; their site shows $10.49

Wondering if this is a hike to offset the $2/box rebate going on now or is it just inflation/lead increase.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:03 PM   #36

Member #1440
I highly recommend the MEC Sizemaster. It is the best of the manual MEC reloaders and will load both 3 inch and 2 3/4 inch shells. It resizes the base, has auto primer feed, and dispenses primers automatically. I suggest getting an adjustable charge bar, so that you can adjust for different powder and shot weights without having to buy different die sets. You can try to find a used Sizemaster on Shooterspage.com or ebay.com.
737Pete likes this.
JimH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:38 AM   #37

Member #15516
I have a MEC sizemaster in all gauges except .410 and it is a junior. I probably should sell my 20 gauge as I have enough loaded to last me a lifetime.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:45 AM   #38

Member #15516
I did buy a Lee for my SIL last year and was surprised at how well it did for loading 12 gauge shells. I loaded a few thousand rounds through it and it took some getting used to as it is EXACTLY opposite of the MEC for loading direction. It does not come with a 3/4 oz. shot bushing, but I made a work around that worked quite well. It is a bit hard on the final crimp and can cause some rippling if you are not careful. Also, if you plan on using steel based hulls, you will have to resize and the LEE is a huge PITA for that. I only loaded brass shells, so skipped the resizing part.

Best bet for your volume is to spend the extra couple hundred dollars.
RKB likes this.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:26 PM   #39
RKB

Member #2031
Originally Posted by pbansen View Post

It's not like reloading shotshells is difficult or unpleasant work, either: I find it interesting, relaxing and fun.
Same here. To me, it is just another part of the game. I even do some oddball stuff, like trimming my used 16ga hulls shorter then roll-crimping them. Used to do that just to get a couple more loads out of those hard-to-find hulls, but even after a benefactor gave me over 6K never-reloaded fired factory shells (likely a lifetime supply), I still do it, just because I get a great deal of enjoyment out of it. Plus, it gets some attention at the various clubs I visit.
oneounceload likes this.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:11 PM   #40

Member #12041
I don't really feel like doing the math but will take you guys' word for it. At any rate after getting a huge box of Winchester AA from my local club I can tell you I enjoy reloading. The sense of satisfaction that comes from shooting my own shells is nice. And for some strange reason the sex is better. Kidding.
737Pete is offline   Reply With Quote