Suitable Reloader for Skeet - Page 2 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Suitable Reloader for Skeet

This is a discussion on Suitable Reloader for Skeet within the Shotgun Reloading forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; Originally Posted by oneounceload Have never seen a used grabber for less than 150; most are around $250. Even the MEC Jrs are creeping up ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Reloading

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2019, 09:51 PM   #11

Member #13937
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
Have never seen a used grabber for less than 150; most are around $250. Even the MEC Jrs are creeping up in price from when they were $50-$75
Ive been lucky. Got 2 for 75 missing bottles. Got another off a forum 112.00 shipped. Deals are out there out west not alot of shotgun reloader. Scored some shot for 10 bucks a bag. Because it was lead shot no one wanted it. It busts clays just fine.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
ddkonrai is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-25-2019, 05:33 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Member #1368
MEC should be paying him for his web tutorials
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:59 AM   #13

Member #5570
MEC should be paying him for his web tutorials
And he can be a major horses patoot also. One of the more arrogant and egotistical guys I've run across on forums. He's the reason I left the forum he resides on.
ddkonrai likes this.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2019, 04:25 PM   #14

Member #15938
I reloaded 16 gauge for quite a while using a Lee Loader because 16 gauge shells are so expensive. I was satisfied with the shells: they went bang and sized the hulls appropriately - no issues with fit in the gun.

When I started shooting trap, I started reloading 12 gauge. I bought a used MEC machine and was blown away at how much better a reload the MEC machine produced - great crimps and a very uniform overall appearance.

Sooooo, another vote for spending a little more money to get a much better reloading machine. I have never bought a 600 Jr. for less than $50, but I have seen them at flea markets very cheap - they were all missing parts that you could buy from MEC, but you might be better off buying a complete machine off ebay. I've bought several on ebay and the biggest issue is the shipping cost, which - at best - is $20-25 on UPS. People frequently ask for $50 and up for shipping, which is a little over the top.

If you're not a proficient reloader, start with a single stage unit, like a 600 Jr. or Sizemaster. The progressive machines require more tweaking and attention and although they turn out a ton of shells in a hurry, they will also give you ample opportunity to dump powder and shot all over your bench until you get into a good rhythm with them.
pbansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:26 PM   #15
RKB

Member #2031
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
And he can be a major horses patoot also. One of the more arrogant and egotistical guys I've run across on forums. He's the reason I left the forum he resides on.
Wow -I'm surprised to hear that. he lives about 20mi south of me, we are both members of Chilhowee Sportsmen and shoot there a lot. He has always been nice to me and puts up with some obscure and oddball questions that I and others ask.
oneounceload likes this.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:10 AM   #16

Member #5570
Perhaps he's one of those guys who changes when he's anonymous on the net.

I was a member of that board for around 5 years and finally couldn't take him any more.
RKB likes this.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:12 PM   #17
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Originally Posted by RKB View Post
Wow -I'm surprised to hear that. he lives about 20mi south of me, we are both members of Chilhowee Sportsmen and shoot there a lot. He has always been nice to me and puts up with some obscure and oddball questions that I and others ask.

As am I....I had a "rough spell on SGW" where had it been here or anywhere else, I would have gotten the boot. I have never seem him ever get mad upset or vocal with anyone - he has always helped anyone, especially on MEC threads. I do not know him personally like RKB, but my few private interactions with him have been positive in every respect.

As a Mod, I admire his restraint on that forum
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 05-28-2019, 11:14 AM   #18

Member #5570
I never had any rough spots, no timeouts or bans or anything like that, but we crossed swords 3 times over the 5 or so years and that's my limit with anyone.

He likes to take credit for other peoples ideas, though, and that's mainly what happened between us.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:15 PM   #19
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Originally Posted by ddkonrai View Post
Ive been lucky. Got 2 for 75 missing bottles. Got another off a forum 112.00 shipped. Deals are out there out west not alot of shotgun reloader. Scored some shot for 10 bucks a bag. Because it was lead shot no one wanted it. It busts clays just fine.

When i lived out West, there were a LOT of reloaders, especially using West Coast shot as we were only 4 miles from their shot tower. (Also used a lot of Western NV/West Coast bullet - now called Xtreme - as they were a block away from the tower.)
ddkonrai likes this.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 05-28-2019, 04:02 PM   #20

Member #13937
When i lived out West, there were a LOT of reloaders, especially using West Coast shot as we were only 4 miles from their shot tower. (Also used a lot of Western NV/West Coast bullet - now called Xtreme - as they were a block away from the tower.)
Im in Cali. For some reason mec run cheap here. I see them posted and they just dont sell. Maybe because its all steel shot for hunting? Idk.
Just glad to buy that nasty lead shot those hunters cant seem to get rid of.
Before I reloaded 12s was at a estate sale. Guy wanted to give me shot, but I was stupid and did not take his free offer. Omg what a idiot I was.

ddkonrai is online now   Reply With Quote