Choke Question - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Choke Question

This is a discussion on Choke Question within the Shotgun Identification and Worth forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; I have a Beretta Silver Snipe S 55, 12 Gauge, that, according to Beretta's date code, was manufactured in 1960. I have looked everywhere on ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Identification and Worth

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By oneounceload

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2020, 09:01 PM   #1

Member #17068
Choke Question

I have a Beretta Silver Snipe S 55, 12 Gauge, that, according to Beretta's date code, was manufactured in 1960. I have looked everywhere on the barrels for the (`) (``) symbols that designate the upper and lower chokes. Even using a magnifying glass, I cannot find them. Nothing on the receiver either. There are stamps on the barrels, but they appear to be manufacturing stamps, such as Kg 1310, 18,3 17,3 20,3 etc? I want to give this great old gun to my grandson, but would like to know how its choked before I do that. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
mega44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-03-2020, 09:21 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Those numbers are the choke designations. Subtract the smaller number from the larger to get the constrictions in mms.

Example, one barrel is marked 18,3 and 18.0. Subtracting the smaller from the larger gives .3mm; do a metric to inch conversion (Google it) and you will have an approximate choke.

All that said, only you can determine the true pattern by hitting the pattern plate with your intended ammo.
Aldo and jwsmith1959 like this.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:00 PM   #3

Member #17068
Thank you!!!! Based on the marking on the barrels of this old guy, the upper is choked Full, and the lower is choked Improved Modified. Does that make sense to you given that the gun is 60 years old??
mega44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2020, 06:35 AM   #4

Member #15516
Originally Posted by mega44 View Post
Thank you!!!! Based on the marking on the barrels of this old guy, the upper is choked Full, and the lower is choked Improved Modified. Does that make sense to you given that the gun is 60 years old??
Yes, that makes sense. You might want to look at a choke chart. I'm pretty sure that full chokes were more constrictive before the advent of plastic shot cups.
Attached Thumbnails
Choke Question-choke-chart-768x140.jpg  
jwsmith1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:14 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Originally Posted by mega44 View Post
IM/F is a popular pigeon/bunker/ZZ combination as well as being useful for wild birds like flushing pheasants. The age really has nothing to do with it.

Now, after you check the patterns, IF they are just too tight for your purposes, I would call Briley in Houston. You can either have them opened up to some other fixed choke combination or see if they can install their "thinwall" chokes which will give you more flexibility to shoot close, medium, far or some combination thereof.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote