Gun cleaning tool box - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Gun cleaning tool box

This is a discussion on Gun cleaning tool box within the Shotgun Forum Off-Topic forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; I am looking for suggestions on purchasing a tool box for all my gun cleaning equipment and thought I would throw this idea open to ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Forum Off-Topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2021, 04:45 PM   #1

Member #9178
Gun cleaning tool box

I am looking for suggestions on purchasing a tool box for all my gun cleaning equipment and thought I would throw this idea open to our group.
Currently I am using 2-3 Rubber Maid plastic containers. I would like to find something where I could keep and organize all the rods, brushes, picks, mops etc. etc. I have all sorts of equipment for cleaning shotguns (both O/U and Semi) revolvers and semi auto hand guns and if I get my birthday wish maybe Mrs. One Eye will buy me a Ruger 10/22 !
The biggest issue I have is the humidity here in FL because I have my cleaning station in the Lanai . ( covered but open back porch to you northerners).
I would like to say that money is no problem but my "Stimulus Check" from the government bounced so let that be our guide !
Remove Ads
Old 01-13-2021, 07:49 PM   #2

Member #460
I keep my stuff in a 3 drawer with open area under the lid craftsman's tool box. Works very well. Close and tote with top handle if needed.
The Happy Kaboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:49 AM   #3

Member #14966
Craftsman top box from Lowes (997952), holds all my cleaning stuff and tools, the top area is tall enough that 12oz. aerosol cans can set upright, not cheap but I figure it will be the last one I need.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:39 AM   #4

Member #9953
Here is the one I use:
Plano Shooters Case
Hard H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:57 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Things like brushes and jags are easily sorted in Plano fishing lure boxes found cheap at Walmart; you might be able to adapt some other fishing boxes as well.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:20 PM   #6

Member #9178
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
Things like brushes and jags are easily sorted in Plano fishing lure boxes found cheap at Walmart; you might be able to adapt some other fishing boxes as well.
I came to that conclusion about 2:00PM this afternoon when Mrs. One Eye showed me where I had 3 tackle boxes in the garage that I wouldn't let her sell in our "Garage Sale " last December...so,,,
Old Yesterday, 01:07 AM   #7

Member #15516
All of my cleaning rods are 1 piece (including my trusty TICO tool). I have a .17 caliber rod I use for my .204, another that is good for .22 to .264, and another for .277 and above. I also have a 1 piece shotgun rod for brushes. I also use an old tackle box for patches, brushes and smaller bottles and cans of cleaning fluids. The tackle box also fits my pistol rods. 14" contender barrels have always been a pain to clean since my pistol kits aren't long enough. I learned to just clamp them in a vise and use the rifle rods.

I also have a Tipton Gun Butler that usually has some extra scrap rags, bigger bottles and other stuff I didn't get properly put away in the tackle box. I like the tackle box and the Tipton as they both have handles and can be stored and moved easily.

Having all those one piece rods, I wound up just storing them in a display gun cabinet (pictured) that on of my Dad's patients built for him when I was a kid. I keep a few odd guns in there that I no longer have room for in my safes. The empty spot is my .22 Mag that is temporarily in my garage for Hogs.

At the beginning of lockdown, I went through all my cleaning stuff and got it more under control like you are trying to do now. I know I have cleaned all of my guns since March, so a few things are in the Caddy instead of the tackle box, but I feel that it has been easier to keep things neater since.

I do seem to be able to get all of my loading, ammo storage, cleaning supplies, etc. into a state of disarray much quicker than I neaten in up.

Good luck and all the best.
Attached Thumbnails
Gun cleaning tool box-gun-cabinet.jpg  

Last edited by jwsmith1959; Yesterday at 01:14 AM.
jwsmith1959 is offline   Reply With Quote