Shooting Cold - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Shooting Cold

This is a discussion on Shooting Cold within the Shotgun Forum Off-Topic forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; Saturday was 35 with a north breeze. We shot 4 rounds and had a pretty good time. We got to calling it sporting skeet cause ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Forum Off-Topic

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By oneounceload
  • 2 Post By Flash
  • 2 Post By Hard H2O
  • 2 Post By jwsmith1959
  • 1 Post By OU12/20

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2021, 03:10 PM   #1

Member #17442
Shooting Cold

Saturday was 35 with a north breeze. We shot 4 rounds and had a pretty good time. We got to calling it sporting skeet cause you never knew where it was going. Not the coldest I've shot in, but different from usual. My question to you reading, what was the coldest, what all was going on? Another question for our Florida shooters, anyone going to Palm City for any of the shoots their?
ramblinrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-10-2021, 04:31 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Palm City is South Florida; very nice private club that opens its doors to the public for registered skeet, trap, and sporting clays. They also have the only Helice ring in Florida.

As to cold, northern NV would get to single digits, especially for our Thursday night fun league. So shooting in single digits, at night under the lights when it's snowing.........we had a 55 gallon burn barrel going so you could hold some ammo in your hand and warm them up so as not to get any bloopers.......
ramblinrebel likes this.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:32 AM   #3

Member #5570
35 and 10 mph winds is about the coldest I've shot skeet in.

I've shot Sporting Clays in the mid to high 20s and had a hekkuva time feeling my trigger finger, something that definitely hurts my scores.
oneounceload and ramblinrebel like this.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2021, 02:11 PM   #4

Member #9953
I have shot in below zero weather. I try to make it a point every year to go to the club on some cold days just to say I did it.
Hard H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:21 PM   #5

Member #15516
I used to shoot tons in the cold. Cold on the Gulf Coast of Texas is relative though. 35 and breezy this morning. I have some Vascular issues along with nerve damage in my right leg that can make my right foot frosty feeling in low temps...so cold weather is not my favorites these days. I did manage to bag a Sandhill Crane this past Saturday before bad weather moved in, so I'll take that for now.
jwsmith1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:41 PM   #6

Member #17580
That's warm up our way this time of the year , Generally speaking .

-10 to 30 F would be normal temps . A shooting glove is almost a must or a pocket warmer . The Major issues this time of year is getting into the range , snow no problem , ICE is a problem !. In addition blowing snow or freezing rain is extremely bothersome .

Our Dual #5 stand is automatic and programmable per individual on station , one stands inside the shooting room which is heated . The Room which has specially designed commercial windows ,that swing away giving the shooter 180 Deg. swing too targets .
It's still Bloody cold especially with wind and that's near always here .
Breezy is considered 5- 25 mph around these parts . Stiff wind is 65+ mph and windy in-between .
ramblinrebel likes this.
OU12/20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:17 PM   #7

Member #17442
Thanks everyone, some interesting answers here. I was wondering about if any of our Florida shooters were headed to Palm City to shoot in them tournaments coming up. Seen them advertised in Clay Target Nation.
ramblinrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:54 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Member #1368
For ME, that is a 6 hour drive from my home in Florida; kind of a long haul any more.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote