How do you spend your days off? - Page 6 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

How do you spend your days off?

This is a discussion on How do you spend your days off? within the Shotgun Forum Off-Topic forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; As I've told my friends and Mrs. Flash, the day I can't do whatever I want to do is the day I'm going to check ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Forum Off-Topic

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2020, 09:13 AM   #51

Member #5570
As I've told my friends and Mrs. Flash, the day I can't do whatever I want to do is the day I'm going to check out and I'm serious.

In the meanwhile, life is good.
RKB likes this.
Flash is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-06-2020, 04:39 AM   #52

Member #16956
The sister next to me is two years older. She married a local boy a couple of miles from the house of our early adolescence, and they are married still. His family had a truck farm which they still live on, and because it is such an old farm they have a functioning outhouse on the property. That is the bathroom I use when I am there because that is just who I am. She has her instructions. When the time comes, she is to back the truck up to the outhouse and pipe the exhaust into it. When I am finished relieving myself, I get five minutes to wipe my own bottom, and when I cannot get it done in that amount of time, she starts the truck. : ).
RKB and ramblinrebel like this.
4575wcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:21 AM   #53

Member #17442
That's what I call going in style.
ramblinrebel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2020, 06:35 PM   #54

Member #16956
She reminds me occasionally--Do NOT drop the paper
Old 10-07-2020, 07:01 PM   #55

Member #16968
I'm gonna need a bigger saw.

Old 10-07-2020, 07:24 PM   #56

Member #16956
Hey Jack
Is that one of those chain saw, lumber making apparatuses?
Old 10-08-2020, 08:41 AM   #57

Member #16968
Originally Posted by 4575wcf View Post
Hey Jack
Is that one of those chain saw, lumber making apparatuses?
Sure is.

I put my saw in that last night and it makes my saw look like a kids toy.

I wanted to use it to make a couple more beams but I'm not sure with all that on there if it leaves enough bar for cutting. I'll try it out today.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:35 PM   #58

Member #16956
Probably you can get a big Stihl or a Husky reasonable enough. You must have some timber on the property? Chain saws scare hell out of me, but some axe and adze work would be interesting to try. You're the man! Those rest homes are gonna go broke waiting on ya.
Jack Ryan likes this.

Last edited by 4575wcf; 10-08-2020 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:09 PM   #59

Member #16968
Well this didn't go as planned. That 18" bar on any kind of this type saw mill is pathetic, ridiculous, foolish. But sounded like a good idea at the time. I've got my "saw man" watching for something for me. Funny how its the same story every time, "We had ten saws like that in here LAST WEEK."

Any way truth is I probably never needed the thing to start with.

I had a full head of steam by the time I was ready to THROW THAT THING any way so I cut one out freehand and it's been my best effort so far. Same saw, short bar, just none of it wasted hanging on to the rest of that contraption.

Just lay it out on each end of the log with a level, tape measure and may be a square. Then I'll use the saw to notch the corner at each end and snap a straight line with chalk line. To do this it is best if the log is down low to the ground but up 3 or 4 inches so your saw doesn't get in the dirt. Then go down the chalk line the first time just "etching it in the log" so the chips don't blow it away. Then just go back and forth letting the tip and first inch or so of the bar do all the cutting in the bottom of the kerf.

You can cut the two parallel sides and turn it and level to make the two 90 degree sides.

Last edited by Jack Ryan; 10-08-2020 at 07:12 PM.
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:09 PM   #60

Member #16956
If I had a couple bucks for every article I have bought and dragged home with big plans that never materialized I would be a very rich man. I have stopped being quite so impulsive as I've gotten older, mostly cause I am out of room to store the stuff. At any rate I walked out the area where I used to hunt deer, and birds as a kid this morning. Got into some deer, but they were not the right kind of deer. Got into some birds, but did not have the correct special permit to shoot some of them, so I left my birdshot in the pickup. Used to be we could just hunt birds, take along a pocketful of slugs, and maybe round up a deer and shoot it for the freezer. Now we gotta establish species, locate a horn 3 inches or longer for one of the species. Lets just say that this does my instinct shooting with slugs in the old Stevens 520 no good at all. One more weekend to get it all right.