How do you spend your days off? - Page 3 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

How do you spend your days off?

This is a discussion on How do you spend your days off? within the Shotgun Forum Off-Topic forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; No matter what is said to be retired is all good!...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Forum Off-Topic

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2020, 08:11 PM   #21

Member #17442
No matter what is said to be retired is all good!
RKB likes this.
ramblinrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-22-2020, 09:10 PM   #22

Member #16968
Originally Posted by Jack Ryan View Post
Had another "day off". Retired and liv'n the dream.

I'm ready to be DONE AND DID with this freaking JOB!

My "free" cement mixer turned out to be a dud. Couldn't run with more than three shovels of gravel in it. So we mixed concrete in the wheel barrow and toted it down from the house to reset the old concrete abutments over the new culvert pipe. Took me 12 bags of concrete and two days but I think I'm finally ready to get back on the tractor and start filling this in.

Over the years dirt and soil have dropped out of the water at the down hill side when it came out and created a little up hill mound to get over and drain. I'm going to start by digging out that grade a little and using it to fill in on top. Then instead of putting that rocky dirt and concrete scrap right on the new pipe I'm going to another part of the place and dig up clean clay to fill in around the new plastic and swap that with the rocky stuff I dug up here.

I hear God laughing already and I haven't even hit "submit reply" on this plan yet.
oneounceload and RKB like this.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:55 PM   #23

Member #16968
I'm starting to fill in now. Digging up sod in my "new clay pit". Since I had the sod I went ahead and picked out about 50 gallons of rocks and stacked the outside of the ditch on each side, covered that over with rocky dirt from the culvert and then laid sod over that so it looks pretty good I think. Just need some water now so it don't all die. Did most of the filling and the sodding by hand out of the tractor bucket so sod could go to the sod spot and the clay could go to the clay spot.

Got a picture for the wife so she could see her concrete work in the day light before I started covering it over.

Last edited by Jack Ryan; 09-23-2020 at 03:59 PM.
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2020, 04:52 AM   #24
Super Moderator

Member #148
i can work as long as my legs and arms hold out. right now im crippled by heal spurs.
so i cant say i enjoy working on my days off.
but since every day is a day off being retired, i spend a lot of time planning where im going to die and im setting up for it. as much as i love my farm, i cant picture living 60 miles from a hospital. conn looks like the place to focus. va? house is being prepped to be sold. i also sold off a VAST majority of my gun collection. i keep my fleet of cars running so i can be in 3 different states year round. care for my aging mother. enjoy my wifes company and remember all my good times of the past. thought id have more friend by now, but this internet way of socializing has tarnished the quality of friendships with distance. just not the same as a guy knocking on your door and saying hello over coffee, on his way to the deli.
i thought being a member of a gunrange would change that, but the instant your membership expires, everyone bails. sad to think a friend must have something in common with you to be attracted to you.
thats what i do on my days off.
guns are slowly taking back seat to other pressing priorities.
me.
NSSA All American
Certified NRA Shotgun Instructor
Skeet & Trap Range Owner

Last edited by bobski; 09-25-2020 at 04:58 AM.
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:46 AM   #25

Member #5570
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
me.
Interesting. I've been going the other way for the last 15 years and everything else is taking a back seat to guns/shooting/reloading/socializing with other shooters.

That's life I guess.
Flash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:06 AM   #26

Member #16968
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
i can work as long as my legs and arms hold out. right now im crippled by heal spurs.
so i cant say i enjoy working on my days off.
but since every day is a day off being retired, i spend a lot of time planning where im going to die and im setting up for it. as much as i love my farm, i cant picture living 60 miles from a hospital. conn looks like the place to focus. va? house is being prepped to be sold. i also sold off a VAST majority of my gun collection. i keep my fleet of cars running so i can be in 3 different states year round. care for my aging mother. enjoy my wifes company and remember all my good times of the past. thought id have more friend by now, but this internet way of socializing has tarnished the quality of friendships with distance. just not the same as a guy knocking on your door and saying hello over coffee, on his way to the deli.
i thought being a member of a gunrange would change that, but the instant your membership expires, everyone bails. sad to think a friend must have something in common with you to be attracted to you.
thats what i do on my days off.
me.
Don't worry Bob, we are friends right down to the bitter end far as I'm concerned. See me ever 3 years or every Wednesday, gonna be exactly the same. I've barely left home base since February, if not for Wuhoo flu I'd have come out to your trap shoots.

Hope you are getting some quality care for those heel spurs. I had 'em so bad I could barely walk back in '86 but I couldn't stop because I'd JUST STARTED an apprenticeship. I was afraid I'd get booted if I let it show. You CAN GET THOSE HEALED up and still move around. The less the better but you don't have to just lay around with your feet up to get past it.
Old 09-26-2020, 02:28 PM   #27
Super Moderator

Member #148
VA is fitting me up in nov. till then its gimp-land on a cane. i hate being crippled.
NSSA All American
Skeet & Trap Range Owner
Old 09-26-2020, 09:46 PM   #28

Member #16968
Try some ice and aspirin on it twice a day until then.

Doc just had me cut some holes in Dr Scholl insoles right where it feels like you are standing on a nail in the morning and put those in my shoes. It took a couple weeks to just notice "This might be working" But in a month it was a LOT better. And I never did have to miss any work for it.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:43 AM   #29
Super Moderator

Member #148
im walking on sketchers jell slip ons. helps, but cant wait for my VA customs shoes.
NSSA All American
Skeet & Trap Range Owner
Old 09-27-2020, 02:32 PM   #30

Member #16956
Hang in there Bob. Where there is a will there is a way, but it ain't always the easy way.
4575wcf is online now   Reply With Quote