DIY Less Lethal Rounds - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

DIY Less Lethal Rounds

This is a discussion on DIY Less Lethal Rounds within the Shotgun Ammo forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; Hi all, So I have about 200 rounds of bird shot too many. I was thinking couldn't I empty out the steel shot and replace ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Ammo

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2020, 12:42 AM   #1

Member #17970
DIY Less Lethal Rounds

Hi all,

So I have about 200 rounds of bird shot too many. I was thinking couldn't I empty out the steel shot and replace it with 1 or 2 .68 cal hard rubber paint ball ammo?

what do you think? Crazy Idea? or a good way to make use of extra ammo ?
toddbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-18-2020, 07:16 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
For what purpose.homemade defensive ammo? If so VERY bad idea. First off even those can be lethal; but more importantly, if you are in that bad of a situation where you need to shoot someone, you'd better be shooting to eliminate the threat immediately.
Jack Ryan likes this.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:40 AM   #3

Member #17970
yes home defense, the first few rounds are warning shots, the remainder live 00 buck.
this is less lethal ammo not non lethal.
my test reveals 1 ball fits into one round.
My question is will replacing steel shot with a single .68 rubber ball actually work.

btw the shotgun isn't the only weapon on site, while i'd prefer not to be killing people, i have backup

Last edited by toddbailey; 08-18-2020 at 10:46 AM.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:09 AM   #4

Member #9953
There are no warning shots. That is only in the movies. Shoot to eliminate the treat and give yourself time to egress to a safe location.
Jack Ryan likes this.
Hard H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:24 PM   #5

Member #17970
i prefer to give a person a second or 2 to consider any hostile action. When you kill someone things get very messy fairly quick, from a legal standpoint.
Jack Ryan likes this.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:43 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Originally Posted by toddbailey View Post
yes home defense, the first few rounds are warning shots, the remainder live 00 buck.
this is less lethal ammo not non lethal.
my test reveals 1 ball fits into one round.
My question is will replacing steel shot with a single .68 rubber ball actually work.

btw the shotgun isn't the only weapon on site, while i'd prefer not to be killing people, i have backup
NO NO NO to warning shots! You do not employ a gun unless and until you are in fear for your life and then it is employed for one reason, to stop the threat immediately. Warning shots are hype and BS and a good way to get you thrown in jail since you obviously did not fear for your life for those first several shots.

You need to develop a better defense plan, taking a multi-layered approach with fencing, locks, lights, alarms, DOGS, etc.
Jack Ryan likes this.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:27 PM   #7

Member #17970
hey, if i want to kill someone my ar w 5.56 ammo, or my mossberg w/buck shot are more than able to do the job. If they come charging up the driveway shooting, than damn straight they will be met with lethal force, but what if they are just trespassing or messing with person property, If you kill a person for those reasons you my friend are in a world of hurt.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:42 PM   #8

Member #12378
but what if they are just trespassing or messing with person property, If you kill a person for those reasons you my friend are in a world of hurt.
In this state if you shoot at a person for those reasons you are in a world of hurt.

Steve
Old 08-18-2020, 10:28 PM   #9

Member #16968
i prefer to give a person a second or 2 to consider any hostile action. When you kill someone things get very messy fairly quick, from a legal standpoint.
That is why you always have an empty hole ready to fill in the garden.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:30 PM   #10

Member #17970
true, even with the worst society has to offer, these people also have the right to life and liberty.
which is why i would start with a non lethal weapon like a paint ball gun to a shot gun with rubber bullets
ie: riot control and move up the ladder should the need arise. Some suggest I need a better home defence plan, I'd like to explore this further.

regardless, getting back to the original question: will a modified bird shot shell function using a rubber ball instead of steel shot?