Brand New Owner, Need Ammo Advice - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Brand New Owner, Need Ammo Advice

This is a discussion on Brand New Owner, Need Ammo Advice within the Shotgun Ammo forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; Hey everyone. Got myself a DP-12, and I'm looking for ammo. Although I wouldn't say I'm a stranger to firearms- I've had a S&W .40 ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Ammo

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By RKB
  • 1 Post By Geobob
  • 2 Post By dawgs2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2020, 12:35 PM   #1

Member #17844
Brand New Owner, Need Ammo Advice

Hey everyone.

Got myself a DP-12, and I'm looking for ammo.

Although I wouldn't say I'm a stranger to firearms- I've had a S&W .40 M&P since 2009- I have very little experience with shotguns. So I'm looking to practice as soon as possible.

Can you fine people give me recommendations on ammunition for practice, as well as what to stock for home defense? I understand buck, bird and slugs. I have a rather amateurish question about that though- is there a difference between practice slugs and home defense slugs?

If you need further clarification on what I'm looking for I'm happy to provide. Just to be clear, this is 12ga ammo for the DP-12 by Standard Manufacturing.

Thank you so much!
Unichrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-18-2020, 03:23 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
What are practice slugs? Why would you want to use slugs for HD where distances are measured in feet?
Practice running your gun with inexpensive target loads so you can get the feel of the gun and how it operates.

DP-12 is the double pump from CSMC's "tactical" subsidiary. I can tell you that it and the Kel-tec version do not handle any of the mini shells worth a damn.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 03:27 PM   #3

Member #17844
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
What are practice slugs? Why would you want to use slugs for HD where distances are measured in feet?
Practice running your gun with inexpensive target loads so you can get the feel of the gun and how it operates.

DP-12 is the double pump from CSMC's "tactical" subsidiary. I can tell you that it and the Kel-tec version do not handle any of the mini shells worth a damn.
Thank you for your reply, it means a lot. I got some Winchester practice rounds.

When you say mini shells, do you mean 2.75 inches as opposed to 3?

What is the difference between practice ammunition and just standard stuff?
Unichrone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2020, 07:10 PM   #4
RKB

Member #2031
The mini shells he referred to are made by Aguila, a Mexican ammo maker. They are less than 2" long and do not work too well in a lot of shotguns. Some folks think they can cram a bunch of them into a gun for HD purpose, but they tend to jam regularly unless the gun is modified for them. I'd not stake my life on something prone to jamming!
2-3/4 inch shells are standard 12ga field/target fodder.
oneounceload and ramblinrebel like this.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:04 PM   #5

Member #1194
I'd recommend birdshot vs slugs or buckshot for HD. Slugs can go through walls and windows into your neighbor's house. At 10-12 ft, birdshot will still give a pretty compact pattern effective against an intruder. Try it out at a pattern range and see. A lot safer for other family members and neighbors. Also, Aguila makes some less expensive ammo that works well for practice.
dawgs2 likes this.
Geobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:53 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Member #1368
As long as the birdshot is large and not target sized. So, some #2s, even #1Buckshot will do great (if you can find any buckshot at all.)
Old 07-27-2020, 11:12 AM   #7

Member #9953
Originally Posted by RKB View Post
The mini shells he referred to are made by Aguila, a Mexican ammo maker. They are less than 2" long and do not work too well in a lot of shotguns. Some folks think they can cram a bunch of them into a gun for HD purpose, but they tend to jam regularly unless the gun is modified for them. I'd not stake my life on something prone to jamming!
2-3/4 inch shells are standard 12ga field/target fodder.
Federal also makes the minis
Hard H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:53 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Those would work nicely in a 2" chambered Arrietta I have seen for sale.........
Old 07-30-2020, 04:32 PM   #9

Member #1759
Originally Posted by Geobob View Post
I'd recommend birdshot vs slugs or buckshot for HD. Slugs can go through walls and windows into your neighbor's house. At 10-12 ft, birdshot will still give a pretty compact pattern effective against an intruder. Try it out at a pattern range and see. A lot safer for other family members and neighbors. Also, Aguila makes some less expensive ammo that works well for practice.
At 10 to 20 feet which covers many inside the house HD situations # 6 or #5 shot will kill or disable any attacker not inside an armored container. Changing to larger shot at those distance does not increase your likelihood of hitting the attacker because the pattern, unless you are shooting a blunderbuss is only 8 to 12 inches. The 00 buckshot advocates either are looking to use the gun at long range or have never patterned s shotgun.
No2AinNJ and T-Pee like this.
dawgs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:34 PM   #10
WWT

Member #15792
Birdshot will be looked upon much more favorably by lawyers, DAs and such should you ever actually have to shoot someone. Appears much less warlike than buck. At bedroom range should still make for a "bloody rat hole" pattern.
WWT is offline   Reply With Quote