Newbie ...are "Tracer" shotgun shells available? - Page 2 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Newbie ...are "Tracer" shotgun shells available?

This is a discussion on Newbie ...are "Tracer" shotgun shells available? within the Shotgun Ammo forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; Got two Shotkams for the wife and me. Used them once now and see just were you miss. Still learning but like them....

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Ammo

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2020, 06:54 PM   #11

Member #16298
Got two Shotkams for the wife and me. Used them once now and see just were you miss. Still learning but like them.
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-14-2020, 04:32 PM   #12

Member #4050
If you're looking for a 12 gauge round you may be able to find Winchester "Tracker" shells somewhere. They make them in black for light backgrounds and orange for dark backgrounds. It's a colored wad that has a ring inside the base of the wad that traps a small amount of shot tto give the wad some weight and makes it follow the pattern more or less so you can see where the pattern is. I used to have 12 and 20 ga. both, but let someone use up the 20's and I don't think they even make them any more.
Trophied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:54 AM   #13

Member #59
I still have a bunch of, "Tru-Trace" 12 gauge Tracer Loads I bought back in the 90's. They "work", but the problem is you really don't know how accurate they are. By that I mean you have no idea if the glowing dot, ball, or whatever you want to call it, is located in the center of your shot pattern.

I never had one that didn't trace. But they don't stay lit very long at all. If you're a slow shooter, they'll most likely go out before they reach the target.

I look at all of these things as, "gimmick loads", that are designed to turn a buck for the manufacturer. But not provide much, if any actual help in regards to why you are missing targets.

In that regard they are a lot like oil additives that promise everything, but deliver pretty much nothing but making your wallet lighter. I would save the money for good trap loads, and a whole bunch of targets. As they say, practice makes perfect. If you ask most all of the top shooters, you'll find few, if any have ever used them.
RKB and DaveSy like this.
billt is offline   Reply With Quote