Question about a Winchester Model 12 choke - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Question about a Winchester Model 12 choke

This is a discussion on Question about a Winchester Model 12 choke within the Shotgun Accessories forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; A friend gave me this mint condition Winchester Model 12. Nice checkered wood and excellent bore. The only problem with it is this unsightly choke. ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > Shotgun Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2020, 10:32 PM   #1

Member #17926
Question about a Winchester Model 12 choke

A friend gave me this mint condition Winchester Model 12. Nice checkered wood and excellent bore. The only problem with it is this unsightly choke. A gunsmith has shortened the barrel and permanently attached this thing making a 28 inch barrel length. The choke is perforated with holes. What is this thing? Is it some kind of recoil reducer or what? The gun was lying on it's side when I took the photo so you can see the bead front sight on one side.

G.O. West is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-18-2020, 05:43 PM   #2
RKB

Member #2031
Looks like a Weaver choke system, they had interchangeable tubes to change the choke constrictions.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:30 PM   #3

Member #16956
Give the old Model 12 a workout on upland game before you change the choke device. Some of those things produced some very good patterns. The Old Man shot a JC Higgins Model 20 with a poly choke on it for his main chukar gun the whole time I was growing up. He never turned it off of the modified setting and he was still hunting birds right up to his untimely death in his mid fifties. Dad and that old Model 20 were a force to be reckoned with on chukars. Numrich had some Weaver choke tubes in the not too distant past.

Last edited by 4575wcf; 09-24-2020 at 07:32 PM.
4575wcf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2020, 07:39 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Member #148
agree with all that posted. just me...but if my friend gave me a model 12, id leave it the way it was to remember my friends generosity, and learn to like it. i have a cutts on mine and it does fine. a lot of those old chokes did wonders.
btw, the holes are a muzzle jump reducing system. (think retro rockets.)
NSSA All American
Certified NRA Shotgun Instructor
Skeet & Trap Range Owner
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:32 PM   #5

Member #16956
Here is a bit of additional history on these choke devices. Most of the old shotguns pre 1960 were choked full for shooting shotshells with unprotected lead shot and card wads. Some of the pellets scrubbed along the sides of the bore and were flattened, and some were squashed when the shot charge went from zero to eleven hundred fps in a millisecond. All of this caused a more open pattern, and since lead shot was still used on waterfowl most everybody was pretty content with full choking. Then the plastic wad column was introduced and suddenly your typical full choke began to shoot like a rifle at closer ranges. Lots of very sharp guys started experimenting with choking devices in the '60's to get good useful open patterns for birds, and a whole array was eventually offered. Then interchangeable choke tubes became the rage in the '80's because the muzzle looks so much cleaner. Personally I am a Cutts guy. I got just about the last one in captivity from Lyman sometime in the '90's and had it fitted to an Ithaca M37 Skeet grade with a damaged muzzle. The gunsmith botched the job, she shoots too low, but I will fit it up right and proper one day and we will live happily ever after.
4575wcf is offline   Reply With Quote