Shotgun Forums

Shotgun Forums (https://www.shotgunforums.com/forums/)
-   Shotgun Accessories (https://www.shotgunforums.com/forums/shotgun-accessories/)
-   -   (Expanded) Stuck choke tube (https://www.shotgunforums.com/forums/shotgun-accessories/25708-expanded-stuck-choke-tube.html)

AntoneyRf 08-06-2020 07:17 PM

(Expanded) Stuck choke tube

I went shooting clays the other day with my Girsan MC3125 Semi-auto shotgun.

When I got back to clean my gun trying to take off my choke tube I was unable to take it off and it wouldn't budge.

I dunked my barrel in PB blaster for 48 hours and clamped my choke key to a vice and managed to expose all of the threads on the choke. The body of the choke is hung up in the barrel and I have no idea how to get it out and was wondering if there is something I can do to take it out without damaging the choke if possible.

oneounceload 08-06-2020 07:56 PM

Welcome from Florida!
two questions
1 - was it left inside the barrel without any oil or grease on it?
2 - is it the right choke for those threads in your barrel?

Not trying to sound demeaning, BUT as an example, Beretta has so many choke variations with close-sounding names that is was easy to buy and use the wrong one

AntoneyRf 08-06-2020 08:58 PM

All is well now I sacrificed the choke threads and used vice grips on the choke and clamped it to a vice and carefully pulled and twisted counter clockwise until it finally popped off. I tried fitting my other choke tubes after and they worked perfectly fine. Thankfully I didnt damage my barrel threads.

Thanks for the info anyways.

oneounceload 08-06-2020 09:00 PM

Glad it all worked out

OU12/20 08-08-2020 07:17 PM

Over the years I've found the perfect choke tube lube , USE a Marine grade anti seize with Nickel base NOT copper . Never worry about choke seize again .

David Lee Valdina 08-13-2020 07:59 PM

I have sworn off choke tubes...

I have sworn off choke tubes. And from now on, my guns will be double barrel with two triggers and fixed chokes. And I am so happy I did this. Going back to my childhood. But I won't throw out my Winchester Model 12 guns.

4575wcf 10-03-2020 10:34 AM

I would find and fit up extra barrels fitted with Cutts compensators for those M12's and put them to work. You never stick a choke in a Cutts, if you do ever get one too tight a big combination box end wrench will remove it every time.

Flash 10-03-2020 12:00 PM

I don't have any problems with stuck tubes, but I do keep them clean and lubed.

richg99 10-03-2020 12:03 PM

Since the problem is solved, this thought might be a waste. However...since cold things shrink, and hot things expand..would blowing some freon onto the choke have helped?

The Happy Kaboomer 10-03-2020 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richg99 (Post 152788)
Since the problem is solved, this thought might be a waste. However...since cold things shrink, and hot things expand..would blowing some freon onto the choke have helped?

Or use a heat gun/hair dryer to heat(expand) the barrel and a good penetrant.
You'll never loose a choke tube doing this.
I fear as the op did use vise grips would damage the barrel threads.