Loading/Unloading a 320 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Loading/Unloading a 320

This is a discussion on Loading/Unloading a 320 within the Savage/Stevens/Fox Shotgun Forum forums, part of the Shotgun Forums by Model category; Just purchased a new Savage 320 and have a question regarding unloading the magazine. The instructions state that to unload the magazine by multiple racking ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forums by Model > Savage/Stevens/Fox Shotgun Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2020, 04:37 PM   #1

Member #18528
Loading/Unloading a 320

Just purchased a new Savage 320 and have a question regarding unloading the magazine. The instructions state that to unload the magazine by multiple racking the slide to eject shells.

I have never been a fan of that method preferring to eject shells through the loading port by depressing the shell cutoff spring while pushing the shell lifter down. Then letting the shells slide out one at a time.

On this firearm, I cannot do that. The shell lifter will not depress far enough to let the shell pass by. The lifter encroaches on the shell path by about 1/8. It is locked in that position until I slide the forearm back about an 1 or so. Then the lifter can be depressed far enough to let a shell pass by.
Of course, sliding the forearm back that distance, obstructs part of the loading port, so it is inconvenient to do that.

Also, when loading shells, with the forearm fully forward, it is difficult to load shells due to the position of the lifter, yet it can be done with effort. Much more that with any other shotgun I have owned.

So the question for all the forum members, does your recent 320 act the same i.e. it can only be unloaded by multiple racking or is my bolt/slider/lifter interface not manufactured correctly?
tallen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-18-2020, 05:26 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
You answered your question with this:

The instructions state that to unload the magazine by multiple racking the slide to eject shells.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:10 AM   #3

Member #18148
Originally Posted by tallen01 View Post
Just purchased a new Savage 320 and have a question regarding unloading the magazine. The instructions state that to unload the magazine by multiple racking the slide to eject shells.

I have never been a fan of that method preferring to eject shells through the loading port by depressing the shell cutoff spring while pushing the shell lifter down. Then letting the shells slide out one at a time.

On this firearm, I cannot do that. The shell lifter will not depress far enough to let the shell pass by. The lifter encroaches on the shell path by about 1/8”. It is locked in that position until I slide the forearm back about an 1” or so. Then the lifter can be depressed far enough to let a shell pass by.
Of course, sliding the forearm back that distance, obstructs part of the loading port, so it is inconvenient to do that.

Also, when loading shells, with the forearm fully forward, it is difficult to load shells due to the position of the lifter, yet it can be done with effort. Much more that with any other shotgun I have owned.

So the question for all the forum members, does your recent 320 act the same i.e. it can only be unloaded by multiple racking or is my bolt/slider/lifter interface not manufactured correctly?
On my 320 I rack the slide about half way and push the shell cut off spring down. I can remove all shells very easy this way. I don't know why yours won't. Any 320 I have seen are able to do this. Good luck.

Last edited by purebred; 11-19-2020 at 08:18 AM. Reason: spelling
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2020, 10:49 PM   #4

Member #18528
Onceounceload. You are correct. And in my second paragraph I stated that I am not in favor of that method. Rather favoring to remove shell from the bottom.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:12 PM   #5

Member #18528
Purebread, You are correct, racking the bolt back half way does allow the lifter to be depressed further and then the shell can be removed. On my 320 with the bolt in that position, the forearm covers about half the loading port. That makes sticking one's finger down to depress the lifter and cutoff spring pretty cumbersome. The forearm is the longest one I have ever seen.

I've found that the issue is the ramp feature on the lifter that is prevented from being depressed far enough as it contacts the bottom of the bolt. Like you state, with the bolt half way back, that ramp clears the bolt.

I have some pictures I took of the whole interface but do not have a clue on how to add pictures to this forum. You might be interested in them.

Also, when loading shells, normally the slide is forward so the loading port is fully open which means the lifter partially interfers with the magazine. Hence, it takes some effort to insert shells. This is not what I experience with my other firearms.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:01 PM   #6

Member #18148
I don't know Tallen. Only problem i have is if I do unload the gun i have to be careful of front trigger assembly . It is very sharp like and if i'm not careful my thumb takes a beating on it. I have gotten use to unloading this way so it don't bother me as much. I know the forearm is bigger than most but actually I kinda like it like this. For the price it seems like a pretty good shotgun even though its chinese made. As far as adding pictures go advanced at bottom and go to manage attachments. You can upload a image there.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:04 PM   #7

Member #18148
It seems there isn't a lot of interest in cheaper shotguns on this forum so it's good to hear from others about their 320s. I like mine cheap or not.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:05 PM   #8

Member #18528
Purebred, I took the firearm back over to the gun store where I bought it and they compared it to another 320 they had. Same situation, so I assume (always dangerous to do) that it might be a Chinese design feature. I attached some pictures of what I have.

One of the counter guys there made some suggestions after looking it over. I need to think about what he said before I comment.

And you are right, this is a pretty low end firearm but I am not anticipating sending thousands of rounds down range with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Loading/Unloading a 320-img_1245a.jpg   Loading/Unloading a 320-img_1248a.jpg   Loading/Unloading a 320-img_1251a.jpg  
Old 11-20-2020, 07:34 PM   #9

Member #18148
Appreciate the information but really not understanding what you're trying to put forth. My gun is loaded in the corner of my bedroom within an arm's length from me. I don't make a habit of loading and unloading a gun if it don't need it. It sits there within reach waiting to use it if I have too. Same thing with my carry revolver in the living room. My guns are something to use if I need them. I don't see anything else associated with them. Spent a lot of time in the military and have shot my fill of guns to make me content with shooting. Hope you get figured out whatever it is you're looking for. Good luck
Old 11-20-2020, 09:01 PM   #10

Member #18528
Understand. I occasionally take my firearms to the range to exercise them and keep proficient. Can't carry a loaded weapon into the building. Hence the need to unload them.
So the issue is just a small irksome thing.
Maybe others have a similar issue with the 320.