Sure loving my 870 TRAP model. - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Sure loving my 870 TRAP model.

This is a discussion on Sure loving my 870 TRAP model. within the Remington Shotgun Forum forums, part of the Shotgun Forums by Model category; I took it out for the 2nd or 3rd time today. I shot two rounds... 13/25 and 14/25. I know, I know, that isn't very ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forums by Model > Remington Shotgun Forum

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By richg99
  • 1 Post By oneounceload
  • 1 Post By pbansen
  • 2 Post By richg99

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2020, 02:39 PM   #1

Member #17104
Sure loving my 870 TRAP model.

I took it out for the 2nd or 3rd time today. I shot two rounds... 13/25 and 14/25.

I know, I know, that isn't very good for Real Trap shooters. But my progress (a total of 6 rounds ever shot in Trap) and my confidence in shooting this piece is rewarding.

I was shooting with 3 other guys. All of whom had been shooting TRAP for a while. Only one did better than I. No one else had a 30 inch barrel, and the one fellow who did better than I owned more shotguns than the total of all of my Trap Rounds.

Anyhow, for Singles Trap, at a list price of $609.00 (available for less in many places) I think Remington has a winner.

I'm a newbie, so my opinion doesn't mean much, but at least they have one happy customer.
Jack Ryan likes this.
richg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-01-2020, 10:03 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Have fun - did you have any of those vet shooters watch you and your form? Trap isn't too hard to learn the basics
Study this old booklet from Remington; it has tips on foot position, hold points, etc:
http://damascusiwla.org/Remington_Tr...ntals_2004.pdf
Jack Ryan likes this.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:51 AM   #3

Member #17104
Thanks, oneounce. I believe that I saw that booklet months ago....and promptly forgot about it. I'll read it this morning.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:21 AM   #4

Member #17104
Since I didn't know the guys, I didn't think to ask them.

One only shot 1 out of 25...I'm not sure he could have helped me.
Ha Ha
Old 07-10-2020, 04:56 PM   #5

Member #15938
Rich, as long as you're having fun and enjoying shooting trap, you are doing it right. Forget about the barrel and bead and just lock in on the target with your eyes. We all know how to lead a moving target instinctively - don't over think it, just look at where you want the shot column to go to intercept the target and pull the trigger.

I shot my 1976 vintage Model 870 TB last night at trap league, shot well with it and had fun.
Jack Ryan likes this.
pbansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:09 PM   #6

Member #17104
Well, as I said, I have enjoyed shooting the 30-inch barrel 870 Pump.

My shooting opportunities have been twisted around a bit. When I started this idyllic journey back in December, I only shot a few rounds of Trap. Skeet was the most played game. I was using my O/U 20 gauge for all of my shooting.

Then came an invitation to join a Trap group at my Summer place in TN. When the Virus finally let up some, and while I was still in Houston, I bought the 870 Trap and shot ten rounds or so.

Finally, after a few more doctor visits, I was off to TN, and, low and behold, the Skeet machines here had been giving the club fits. (new ones are coming) So, I was then shooting ONLY Trap, whether I liked it or not. I got myself up to a fairly consistent 15/18 clays each round. I was getting better and THEN...

A week ago, I had to have an emergency PaceMaker put in. They tell me that I'll be out of shooting for 3 or 4 more weeks!!!!! Darn.

In the interim, I gave my Remington V3 to my grandson and bought myself a Browning Citori CX. I intend to use the 60/40 CX as my Skeet; Five Stand and Sporting Clays gun. I will continue using the 870 Trap for Trap.

Between the heart issues and the Virus, my first half-year of shooting has been a jumbled mess.

But, I am looking forward to getting back on the line. I corraled 5 or 6 other newbie shooters to join me weekly. I will be just their scorekeeper for a while, though.

Progress is our most important product! Ha Ha
Thanks for your kind words. richg99
oneounceload and Jack Ryan like this.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:31 PM   #7

Member #16968
You can learn a LOT just standing behind someone else WATCHING them shoot.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:21 PM   #8

Member #15938
It's been pretty much of a jumbled mess for everyone since the beginning of February, but it's slowly getting back to normal where I live in Northern Nevada.

Best of luck as you get your pacemaker situation sorted - hope you are more than just the trap scorekeeper before very long!

Pete
pbansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:47 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Is there any place left to shoot in Northern NV? Used to Sage Hill, Truckee Meadows Clays (out by Mustang) as well as Captial City in Carson and Carson Valley in Gardnerville, with Walker River near Yerington rounding out the clubs. There was a very short-lived shooting school near Dayton that my former dentist was invested in, but that was after I left the area.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

remington gun forums

Click on a term to search for related topics.