Old newbie from Texas & - Page 2 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Old newbie from Texas &

This is a discussion on Old newbie from Texas & within the New Members Introductions forums, part of the Shotgun Forums category; Howdy, JWS. Just looked Orchard up on the map. Not so far. I used to drive further to fish Fayette and West Galv. Bay. Ha ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forums > New Members Introductions

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2020, 07:19 AM   #11

Member #17104
Howdy, JWS.

Just looked Orchard up on the map. Not so far. I used to drive further to fish Fayette and West Galv. Bay. Ha Ha

Just a flier?????...a fellow, (Roy) who I met on the 'net, is from Ellis County (Ennis, area). He has been training his daughters in Trap and Skeet.

He is coming into town to the Greater Houston Area Gun Club at the end of the month. I am going to meet him and watch his daughter shoot on the 28 th.

Is there any chance that you are going to be at that same shoot? I've never been to an event like that. Just wondering.
Rich
richg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-12-2020, 03:00 PM   #12

Member #15516
I like Fayette Reservoir but haven't been in over a year. I grew up and lived in Galveston County for over 50 years before relocating here 6 years ago. Fished and hunted every bit of the bay systems from Anahuac to Matagorda Bay.

I used to shoot at registered shoots at Houston Gun Club when I shot competitively, but not in quite a few years. I did attend one of the Diamond shoots a couple of years ago.

Ennis is home to Texas Targets - an old manufacturer of Clay Targets. They are no longer around but I still remember them fondly. I worked at and eventually ran a Rifle/Pistol/Skeet/Trap range in the late 70's into the 80's and we used their targets from time to time. They were a bit harder than White Flyer and Blue Rock, so were not popular with the 410 shooters and Handicap Trap guys.

Advice for the event you are going to, if you or your friend has a golf cart...they can be a handy way to move around. If the weather is dry or nice, it is not too bad, but it is very spread out there.

Have fun and keep shooting.
Attached Thumbnails
Old newbie from Texas &-texas-targets.jpg  
richg99 likes this.
jwsmith1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:28 PM   #13
RKB

Member #2031
Originally Posted by jwsmith1959 View Post
I like Fayette Reservoir but haven't been in over a year. I grew up and lived in Galveston County for over 50 years before relocating here 6 years ago. Fished and hunted every bit of the bay systems from Anahuac to Matagorda Bay.

I used to shoot at registered shoots at Houston Gun Club when I shot competitively, but not in quite a few years. I did attend one of the Diamond shoots a couple of years ago.

Ennis is home to Texas Targets - an old manufacturer of Clay Targets. They are no longer around but I still remember them fondly. I worked at and eventually ran a Rifle/Pistol/Skeet/Trap range in the late 70's into the 80's and we used their targets from time to time. They were a bit harder than White Flyer and Blue Rock, so were not popular with the 410 shooters and Handicap Trap guys.

Advice for the event you are going to, if you or your friend has a golf cart...they can be a handy way to move around. If the weather is dry or nice, it is not too bad, but it is very spread out there.

Have fun and keep shooting.
Those harder targets remind me of my time stationed in WGermany in the 80's. The only clay birds available were true International targets - we as GI's were the only folks shooting NSSA skeet so there was no need for them to make targets to our standard. I've seen one of those birds hit with enough shot to take all the paint off the dome, and turn it sideways, with nary a piece coming off. As of '88 when I left over there, no one shooting NSSA in Europe had registered a 100 straight with the 410 - and we had some really good AA shooters.
jwsmith1959 likes this.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote