Mossberg 930 "Jam My Gun Button" is real! - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Mossberg 930 "Jam My Gun Button" is real!

This is a discussion on Mossberg 930 "Jam My Gun Button" is real! within the Mossberg Shotgun Forum forums, part of the Shotgun Forums by Model category; Why is it doing this? I have a brand new Mossberg 930 I purchased as a home defense shotgun. The problem is that it came ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forums by Model > Mossberg Shotgun Forum

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2020, 07:15 PM   #1

Member #17750
Mossberg 930 "Jam My Gun Button" is real!

Why is it doing this? I have a brand new Mossberg 930 I purchased as a home defense shotgun. The problem is that it came with a "JAM MY GUN BUTTON" that I didn't know about. That button is the bolt release button. If you have shells in the feed tube, then press the bolt release button at any time, two shells (more if they could fit) will eject from the feed tube into the chamber, jamming up the shotgun, essentially making it useless. This occurs when the gun is in ANY position, with all brands and sizes of shells, at any part of the loading cycle, with a brand new non-modified factory stock gun, with 100% repeatability every time. Needless to say, I'm kind of pissed. I took it to a local gunsmith and as soon as I showed him the issue, he didn't even want to deal with it and just told me to send it to Mossberg. That's how messed up this is.
VIDEO HERE!

WW_Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-02-2020, 12:38 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
What does your owner's manual say about how to load and operate your gun?

Why would anyone press the bolt release button when the bolt is closed? Does it do it when the mag is loaded and the bolt is back and then you release it?

Last edited by oneounceload; 07-02-2020 at 12:40 PM.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:50 PM   #3

Member #17750
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
What does your owner's manual say about how to load and operate your gun?

Why would anyone press the bolt release button when the bolt is closed? Does it do it when the mag is loaded and the bolt is back and then you release it?

That's probably what the engineers asked when they designed this. But as you can see from the explanations in the video, an UNINTENTIONAL press of the bolt release button will cause the gun to jam. This is quite possible in a tactical scenario where the user accidentally presses it picking up the gun or in a close encounter with a bad guy who grabs the gun. Even just double hand clubbing a bad guy in the face with the gun could make his face press the button, thereby jamming the gun instantly.

I understand that this button can be used to quick unload the feed tube if your holding the elevator up, but why would I want that if it doubles as a "Jam my gun button"?
WW_Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2020, 05:21 PM   #4

Member #17104
I'd ask Mossberg.
richg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:12 PM   #5

Member #16526
Kind of why I prefer pumps for home defense.

That seriously seems like a design flaw for a home defense shotgun.
southdakbearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:06 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Member #1368
If the bolt is closed, there is no need to press the bolt release button.

With the bolt back, load magazine, drop one in the chamber, press bolt release and shoot; if it still does what the OP says, then there is, indeed, an issue. If not, it is operator error.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:21 AM   #7

Member #16526
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
If the bolt is closed, there is no need to press the bolt release button.

With the bolt back, load magazine, drop one in the chamber, press bolt release and shoot; if it still does what the OP says, then there is, indeed, an issue. If not, it is operator error.
So you grab your already loaded shotgun in a stressful Home defense situation, accidentally hitting the bolt release as you grab it because being the bolt release itís in a commonly touched location and the ammo comes into the action locking everything up and turning your home defense shotgun into a home defense club, and itís operator error and not a design error on a gun supposedly designed for home defense?
southdakbearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:45 AM   #8

Member #17104
If I had that problem I'd
#1 call Mossberg and ask them

#2 If it is as you say it is ( I don't doubt you)..then I'd jerry-rig a cover over the button. That cover-button would take more than the normal pressure to activate the release button.

Heck, you might even be able to sell the "Button-Blocker" to a zillion other guys with the same problem.

I can, just sitting here, think of a couple of ways to do as I suggest above.

The simplest way that I can envision is to cut out some sticky foam. Surround the button so that the top-most layer is slightly higher than the present button. Put one more layer atop the mound that has been formed. Voila! The offending Button is protected against inadvertent pressure, yet is available when needed. If you use this particular method, I'll expect proper remuneration, considering my contribution.

Posting again and again on any forum isn't going to make the problem go away.
Solve the problem; make your next million. You can say thanks later.
oneounceload likes this.
richg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:52 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Originally Posted by southdakbearfan View Post
So you grab your already loaded shotgun in a stressful Home defense situation, accidentally hitting the bolt release as you grab it because being the bolt release itís in a commonly touched location and the ammo comes into the action locking everything up and turning your home defense shotgun into a home defense club, and itís operator error and not a design error on a gun supposedly designed for home defense?
First off, a shotgun should never be stored with a round in the chamber - they are not drop proof. Secondly, if you have issues on handling the gun, that sounds like a training issue so some good lessons/training/courses would be in order.

If this is supposedly SO common, why isn't this being plastered all over every single shotgun forum and tactical/HD forum?
Old 07-10-2020, 01:34 PM   #10

Member #12378
Here's an idea to solve this "issue"

Go to the drug store, they make a round disc shaped bandage with a hole in the center to stop "corns" from rubbing on your shoe. If I remember correctly they are about 1/4" tall and have an adhesive back. OR go to Home Depot and buy a package of felt chair glides, punch your own hole and attach as they also have an adhesive back. Now you have to purposely stick your finger in the hole to use the button.

Steve