Hello, introduction, and question about 410 mossberg - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Hello, introduction, and question about 410 mossberg

This is a discussion on Hello, introduction, and question about 410 mossberg within the Mossberg Shotgun Forum forums, part of the Shotgun Forums by Model category; Howdy all. Recently laid off engineer going into business for myself making firearm accessories. One of the first things on my personal list is a ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forums by Model > Mossberg Shotgun Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2020, 02:30 PM   #1

Member #17684
Hello, introduction, and question about 410 mossberg

Howdy all. Recently laid off engineer going into business for myself making firearm accessories.

One of the first things on my personal list is a side saddle for a 410 mossberg pump (I havenít been able to find anyone that makes them for 410 and I keep a cruiser-style 500 pump in my bedside table as a home defense weapon).

Iím curious if anyone here would be interested in this product as well, trying to do market research to find out if it makes sense to bring out as a full product release.

Thoughts, questions, concerns?

Thanks.
Tejas Firearms Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-18-2020, 03:33 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Welcome from Florida; sorry to hear you got laid off.

While there has been some major strides forward as regards 410 SD ammo - most likely due to the Judge and similar revolvers, I am not sure how many use a 410 for HD that would consider a side saddle. I have a 6 rounder on my 12 gauge Mossberg and I guess if you scale it down to fit it might be a good thing. How many could you sell and would you make it for the 870 as well? That I cannot answer..
oneounceload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:45 PM   #3

Member #17684
Thanks, itís my 2nd time in 4 years, but these things happen.

The prototype Iím building (itís running as we speak) is essentially a scaled down side saddle similar to what you would normally see on the larger shotguns. I know a number of people that use a pump 410 as a ďtruck gunĒ because they are small, can be fired by almost anyone, and are suitable for a range of applications.

As for making it for an 870, absolutely. Only thing I donít have is an 870 to pull dimensions off to set up the mounting holes in the correct space.

If I can find a shotgun to measure from, I think I could easily adapt my design and manufacturing process to produce them for other models.

Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
Welcome from Florida; sorry to hear you got laid off.

While there has been some major strides forward as regards 410 SD ammo - most likely due to the Judge and similar revolvers, I am not sure how many use a 410 for HD that would consider a side saddle. I have a 6 rounder on my 12 gauge Mossberg and I guess if you scale it down to fit it might be a good thing. How many could you sell and would you make it for the 870 as well? That I cannot answer..

Old 06-18-2020, 06:31 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Are you 3D printing your prototype?
oneounceload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:50 PM   #5

Member #17684
Yep, solid-fill ABS. Should be ok for a low-power round like a 410 (the 12 ga have an aluminium backer plate that I suspect is not necessary for this application).
Old 06-25-2020, 04:07 PM   #6

Member #2047
Probably not much demand for it.

A handful of 12 ga. shells won't fit in your pocket and even if they do, grabbing a handful will keep your fist from being withdrawn from the pocket with them. That is not the case with .410 shells. The side saddle came into being to solve a problem. I doubt that problem exists with the .410 and going into production with it may prove unprofitable. Just my thinking. David
David Lee Valdina is offline   Reply With Quote