590m recoil help - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

590m recoil help

This is a discussion on 590m recoil help within the Mossberg Shotgun Forum forums, part of the Shotgun Forums by Model category; Looking to reduce the felt recoil on this thing. Don't really want to invest in a new stock yet. So I'm hoping to upgrade the ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forums by Model > Mossberg Shotgun Forum

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2020, 09:52 AM   #1

Member #17552
590m recoil help

Looking to reduce the felt recoil on this thing. Don't really want to invest in a new stock yet. So I'm hoping to upgrade the existing factory set up. Does limbsaver make a slip on that'll add to the existing pad, fit tight, and not slip around? Or would a limbsaver replacement pad provide any substantial improvement over the stock pad?

I know that a lot of people really like the limbsaver, but I've never owned one. So I have no frame of reference on what to expect.
Kenneth07ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-15-2020, 11:07 AM   #2

Member #17458
tried one of these?
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002531259?pid=699899

they do work...
No change to your gun required

JAG
bullet45acp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:13 PM   #3

Member #17552
Originally Posted by bullet45acp View Post
tried one of these?
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002531259?pid=699899

they do work...
No change to your gun required

JAG
Thanks, but while that would probably be great for the range or field. The intended primary purpose of this gun is home defense. Otherwise I'd have gone with the 590a1. I needed the capability of instantly loading or unloading that the detachable magazine provides. And I'd like to adjust the recoil of the gun itself. As is, I think the recoil would be a bit too much for my wife to get interested enough to do the necessary practice work. And I think that I'd like it better if I could dial that recoil back a couple notches. I understand that it won't make a huge difference. But really, if it's only a noticeable difference, that might be enough. Since it's a heavy barrel gun, with a pad already installed. It's not as bad as some that I've fired in the past. Just needs a bit more help.

Old 05-15-2020, 06:40 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Member #1368
If the gun does not fit your wife, recoil will be an issue, regardless of the ammo being used.
Opt for low recoil ammo, whatever the shot size, that will work in your gun.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 05:54 AM   #5

Member #17552
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
If the gun does not fit your wife, recoil will be an issue, regardless of the ammo being used.
Opt for low recoil ammo, whatever the shot size, that will work in your gun.
Thanks for your response. Yes I'm planning on incorporating low recoil ammo into the plan. I'm breaking in the gun, and trying different loads now. Looking for suitable loads for a variety of scenarios, for both fun, and defense.

Eventually I'll likely have a different stock, that reduces the recoil. And adjusts the length of pull. But there's other financial considerations at this time. So it'll have to wait. I was just thinking that a limbsaver might be a great short term solution. And would enable me to familiarize her with the pump action while firing the gun.

Just to be clear, this pump isn't the only hd weapon I have on hand, but a shotgun is sometimes the right tool out here in the country. A glock isn't very useful against wild pigs in the dark.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:25 AM   #6

Member #17104
As far as fit, Limbsaver's web site details the various configurations they offer. I believe they have three different sizes of slip-on pads. https://limbsaver.com/

I bought a screw-on Limbsaver pad that was supposed to fit my O/U exactly. I didn't fit. But, because I bought it through Amazon, I was able to return it and buy another model that fit my particular gun within 1/32nds of an inch. I suggest you use a source that allows easy free returns and buy the slip-on that comes closest to doing the job.

Incidentally, my first try was a slip-on, but it was too big, so I went to the screw-on style.
richg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:21 AM   #7

Member #17552
Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
As far as fit, Limbsaver's web site details the various configurations they offer. I believe they have three different sizes of slip-on pads. https://limbsaver.com/

I bought a screw-on Limbsaver pad that was supposed to fit my O/U exactly. I didn't fit. But, because I bought it through Amazon, I was able to return it and buy another model that fit my particular gun within 1/32nds of an inch. I suggest you use a source that allows easy free returns and buy the slip-on that comes closest to doing the job.

Incidentally, my first try was a slip-on, but it was too big, so I went to the screw-on style.
Thanks for your response, I've read threads that sound a lot like your experience. And there's been several good suggestions provided here in this thread. But as yet, nobody has shared any specific information about the fit on this particular factory stock. Nor how much, if any, of an improvement that a limbsaver would be over the factory pad.

I might have to go with the trial and error method of fitment. But I was hoping that a combined large group would produce this information concerning the fit on this exact gun. Given the differences in size across all the different types of butt stocks, its gotta be an exact fit on something.

But I still don't know if it's even worth the trouble, since the factory pad is pretty soft. Once again as yet there's no specific apples to apples comparison. I know the limbsaver reputation. And it'd no doubt be a excellent improvement over a non-padded butt stock. And as I said, the factory pad is pretty soft. It would've made a world of difference on the Winchester model 94 of my youth. But on this particular shotgun, it's just not quite enough.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:24 AM   #8

Member #17552
Originally Posted by richg99 View Post

Thanks for your response, I've read threads that sound a lot like your experience. And there's been several good suggestions provided here in this thread. But as yet, nobody has shared any specific information about the fit on this particular factory stock. Nor how much, if any, of an improvement that a limbsaver would be over the factory pad.

I might have to go with the trial and error method of fitment. But I was hoping that a combined large group would produce this information concerning the fit on this exact gun. Given the differences in size across all the different types of butt stocks, its gotta be an exact fit on something.

But I still don't know if it's even worth the trouble, since the factory pad is pretty soft. There's no information that would even indicate that it's a significant improvement. Once again as yet there's no specific apples to apples comparison. I know the limbsaver reputation. And it'd no doubt be a excellent improvement over a non-padded butt stock. And as I said, the factory pad is pretty soft. It would've made a world of difference on the Winchester model 94 of my youth. But on this particular shotgun, it's just not quite enough.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:37 PM   #9

Member #17586

There are 2 things i did to seriously reduce recoil on my 590.

1. Limbsaver - Airtech Slip on type Small/Medium 4 5/8 - 5 1/8 is the size you'd need.

Screw On Type - better cushion but you will need to do a few extra steps to make it fit.
- Buy a Magpul SGA stock
- Buy a Remington Adapter for the stock model # MAG318
- Buy a Limbsaver that fits Remington either model #10101 (classic) or model # 10805 (airtech) *both fit just different style pad design

Then after installing the SGA stock, you replace the back adapter with the Remington one, then you can put on the limbsaver, screw in the pad using the magpul screws already in the stock.

2.) You can send your barrel to a company called Vang Comp Systems in Arizona, they bore the barrel from the back to the muzzle dramatically decreasing back pressure & felt recoil. (its truly amazing.) Also they add 64 vent ports for gasses to release by the muzzle. its a bit pricey around ($250) but the best fix out there and the only one you'll ever need to do. Doing this treatment to my barrel made any bulk ammo i shot pattern like federal flight control @ 25 yrds. Not to mention it made my 12ga accessible to my wife, she loves it now that its more approachable and i believe is more confident if she needed to use it in an emergency situation.

Last edited by Booce12; 05-26-2020 at 02:35 PM.
Booce12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:48 PM   #10

Member #17552
Originally Posted by Booce12 View Post
You can always send your barrel into Vang Comp Systems in Arizona, they bore the barrel from the back to the muzzle dramatically increasing back pressure & felt recoil. Also they add 64 vent ports for gasses to release by the muzzle. its a bit pricey around ($250) but the best fix and the only one you'll ever need to do. Doing this treatment to my barrel made any ammo i shot pattern like federal flight control. Not to mention it made my 12ga accessible to my wife. she loves it now and i believe is more confident if she needed to use it @ home.
Thanks I'll look into that.
Booce12 likes this.