Need some help on a .22 caliber pistol - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Need some help on a .22 caliber pistol

This is a discussion on Need some help on a .22 caliber pistol within the Miscellaneous forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Classifieds category; Okay, Mrs. One eye has come into possession of a Ruger Mark III Lite pistol. I am trying to find a decent cleaning kit/rod to ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Classifieds > Miscellaneous

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2020, 04:03 PM   #1

Member #9178
Need some help on a .22 caliber pistol

Okay, Mrs. One eye has come into possession of a Ruger Mark III Lite pistol. I am trying to find a decent cleaning kit/rod to care for this gun. I know that this is a shotgun site but hoping someone can give me some guidance... She shoots and I must clean..... That is our trade off after 53 years of marriage
Remove Ads
Old 08-30-2020, 08:31 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Most will tell you not to bother until performance is hindered. I like to at least run a boresnake down the barrel of my MKII with a little Hoppe's or Shooter's Choice.
As to cleaning rods, I am partial to Pro Shot; US made, excellent quality. I also like their flannel cloth patches over ones made from some sort of polyester or blend.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:35 AM   #3

Member #5570
I'm a big fan of J. Dewey rods. They're also made in the USA.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2020, 08:22 PM   #4

Member #16968
I have a stainless steel Ruger Mark II.

I just shoot it until it fails to function. Then I'll take the wood off. Hose it down with Blaster penetrating oil and pull my 22 bore snake thgough it a few times. Spray it some more and blow it out with an air gun. Normally that is plenty for the bore. If that is clean then I'll spray it down with starting fluid and brush any dirt I see with a tooth brush, jack the bolt back and forth about 20 times or utill all the oil and other fluids look dirty and blow it all out with the compressed air gun again.

Repeat until nothing acts dirty and then spray it all down on last time with the spray can of Rem oil. Manipulate every moving part, blow it all out again and wipe it all down with paper towel, blow it out and wipe it down and then put the grips back on.

Good for another 5 thousand rounds or so.
Old 08-31-2020, 11:56 AM   #5

Member #9178
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
Most will tell you not to bother until performance is hindered. I like to at least run a boresnake down the barrel of my MKII with a little Hoppe's or Shooter's Choice.
As to cleaning rods, I am partial to Pro Shot; US made, excellent quality. I also like their flannel cloth patches over ones made from some sort of polyester or blend.
Have the bore snake and ordered the pro shot rod from amazon.
I have been using flannel patches on our shotguns since they were new. I was purchasing remnants from Joann Fabrics until Mrs. One eye remembered that we had some old flannel sheets and pillow cases from when we lived up North. They work great and I must have a couple of thousand.
I have 2 Youtube videos on disassembling and cleaning this Mark III Lite. They both show how to remove the barrel from the frame but do not cover anything about cleaning anything in the frame. Is it really necessary to remove the barrel every time or can I just clean the barrel while it is still attached to the Frame ?