Please Help Identify Merkel - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Please Help Identify Merkel

This is a discussion on Please Help Identify Merkel within the Merkel Shotgun Forum forums, part of the Shotgun Forums by Model category; Thanks all. Glad to find yall. Im on a lot of other gun forums but new here. I recently came across a gun helping a ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forums by Model > Merkel Shotgun Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2015, 10:26 PM   #1

Member #3746
Please Help Identify Merkel

Thanks all. Glad to find yall. Im on a lot of other gun forums but new here.

I recently came across a gun helping a friend sell off his brothers collection after he passed. I am more in to tactical guns but instantly fell in love with a 16 gauge over and under he handed me. He said it was a 1933 Merkel.

I played with it, cleaned it, fell in love with it. For a 1933 Id call it mint! Case color is great, bluing is 98%, wood is 95%.

I didn't have a clue so I called then emailed Merkel USA and had them evaluate it. Their response was good but not a lot of help. The appraiser called it a 201E. But it has the one piece forearm. Merkels words were " It is an all original Merkel from 1933 but we can not identify the model number as it has a one piece forearm like higher end merkels but has the scrolled receiver without the hunting scene like a lower end merkel yet all serial numbers match. What we feel you have here is a shotgun that was custom made for a single individual but cannot trace the serial number as records were burned in the Stuhl plant in the war. You have a very nice piece and value is relative to history you assume."

Any Help?
Attached Thumbnails
Please Help Identify Merkel-merkel1.jpg   Please Help Identify Merkel-merkel2.jpg   Please Help Identify Merkel-merkel3.jpg  

Last edited by jps37033; 10-09-2015 at 10:30 PM.
jps37033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-09-2015, 10:31 PM   #2

Member #3746
More pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Please Help Identify Merkel-merkel4.jpg   Please Help Identify Merkel-merkel5.jpg  
Old 10-10-2015, 09:18 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Member #148
wow. im clueless. but it sure is nice.
Certified NRA Shotgun Instructor
Skeet & Trap Range Owner
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2015, 11:06 PM   #4
RKB

Member #2031
Basic receiver shape and engraving is standard 201E but as they said, the one-piece forearm was not put on that basic grade gun - but like any other gun company, I'm sure they would do anything the customer ordered and paid for. With most of the Merkel records lost during WWII and after (Suhl was in the East German/Russian sector) you may unfortunately never find more accurate info, but even so, that different fore-end would not likely raise the value much beyond that of a standard 201E.
It is indeed a handsome piece - I have a fondness for Merkel shotguns, I have two sxs guns and love them, but a 16ga 201E is on my shopping list.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #5

Member #3746
Thanks all for your replies
Old 10-11-2015, 09:20 PM   #6
RKB

Member #2031
Wish we could give you more info but a lot of German guns from before/during WWII suffer from the problem of destroyed records. Another place you may want to ask is on the German Gun Collector's site - Welome to the German Gun Collectors Association Official Website
Someone there may be able to help you. Best of luck!
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
gebruder merkel shotgun serial numbers
how to read the serial numbers on a merkel shotgun
merkel over under serial numbers

merkel serial number identification

merkel serial numbers

merkel shotgun model identification

merkel shotgun serial numbers

merkel shotguns serial numbers

Click on a term to search for related topics.