Merkel problem - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Merkel problem

This is a discussion on Merkel problem within the Merkel Shotgun Forum forums, part of the Shotgun Forums by Model category; I have a Merkel problem - I LOVE Merkels and can't afford another. My 16ga. I don't have a picture of my 20ga. The only ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forums by Model > Merkel Shotgun Forum

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
RKB

Member #2031
Merkel problem

I have a Merkel problem - I LOVE Merkels and can't afford another.
My 16ga. I don't have a picture of my 20ga. The only reason that I have two is that I got a great buy on each of them. Since then, they have gone outta reach!
I'd really love an o/u in 16ga, they are so ugly they're beautiful.
Just thought I'd put something on here since there's been no activity here in over a year. It's no wonder - A. Folks can't afford them. B. They don't break. C. See A.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-03-2014, 07:56 PM   #2

Member #2836
The 16ga ugly?!? NOT.
However, the phone is...looks like mine!
PumpTimes7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:49 PM   #3
RKB

Member #2031
No, that one isn't ugly, its beautimous!! I love shooting it, even when I miss I look good missing with a pretty gun. I realized a long time ago that I was never going to impress anyone with my shooting so I like to shoot good-looking guns.
I was referring to the 16ga o/u Merkel that I'm looking for.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:09 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Member #148
nice!...................
NSSA All American
Certified NRA Shotgun Instructor
Skeet & Trap Range Owner
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:48 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Merkels (used) can sometimes be found for a decent price. I like their weight and balance, especially in the 28s, but their stock configuration just does not work for me
RKB likes this.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:46 AM   #6

Member #2836
Good Day, RKB,

For this Merkel shotgun, could you tell us what brings this particular one to this higher-end price? Saw it on gunsinternational.com (picture can be see at listed web page).

A number of the Merkels were listed under $10k, quite a few in the teens range, and some (as you noted) absolutely out of reach for many folk. Yes, I know that selling on the web can generate some high pricing, maybe even unreasonable pricing. Be that as it may, since you own Merkels, your perspective would be interesting...thanks.

Merkel Shotguns For Sale

Merkel 303E Luxes 12 Gauge Game Gun

Description:

Merkel 303E Luxes Grade Full Sidelock 12 gauge with 28" solid rib barrels with 2 3/4" chambers and choked M&F. Outstanding cirsassian walnut stock with full marble figure. beautiful fine checkering and carving. Checkered horn butt plate and carved ivory grip cap. Matching carvered and checkered 3 piece forend. Superb ultra deep cut gamescene engraving with raised gold inlays. Pierced trigger gaurd and top lever . Gun built in 1955 and remains in 99% original condition in original trunk case with accessories. One of the finest shotguns you will ever see.

Price: $45000.00
PumpTimes7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:26 AM   #7
RKB

Member #2031
Very high grade but not to my taste. All that gold on the sidelocks gets very expensive, very fast. Much more than standard engraving, even an engraved grip cap, and a carved stock. Very fancy wood. Hard case. None of which do anything for me but some folks like them. They will likely get that much for it.
I'd rather have that 410 o/u they had listed but it's out of my price range. Solid rib barrels and a double trigger - I love it! I just don't have an extra $7K sitting around right now (like I ever did!).
They have went up quite a bit, I bought my 16ga eight years ago and I could get at least $1500 more than I paid for it now - but it's not for sale.

Last edited by RKB; 12-04-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #8
RKB

Member #2031
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
Merkels (used) can sometimes be found for a decent price. I like their weight and balance, especially in the 28s, but their stock configuration just does not work for me
What irritates me about them and most other overseas sxs makers is the lack of stock/trigger options. You can get a straight stock but only with double triggers. You can get a pistol grip/POW grip but only with single trigger. I prefer a POW with double triggers. My 20ga Merkel is a model 50E, a field gun in Europe. Cheek piece, sling swivels, and a nice open POW with DT. That little gun was my first sxs - and it fits me better than any other gun that I own.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Member #1368
That 45,000 gun has top-tier walnut, (most likely several grand alone in today's market) along with some very extensive engraving - even of the top lever. If that is the original case, this gun has most likely sat in a gun room/safe somewhere for almost 50 years

Very nice, but methinks Bullseye is just trying to see if someone bites at that price. The news said the other day that over $2,000,000,000 worth of art was sold in one week so very rich folks are getting out of the markets and into collectible, tangible goods like art, guns, autos, etc. maybe he thinks he can cash in on this
Old 12-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Cheek piece
That's the other thing with me - being LH, those stocks are pure RH built with too much drop
RKB likes this.

Search tags for this page
how to remove stock on post war merkel shotgun
merkel 303e for sale

merkel rifle forum

merkel shotgun cases for sale

merkel shotgun problems

merkel shotguns problems

merkel sxs for sale

merkel sxs shotguns
Click on a term to search for related topics.