Action opening problem - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Action opening problem

This is a discussion on Action opening problem within the Merkel Shotgun Forum forums, part of the Shotgun Forums by Model category; I have a new Merkel 147 with about 100 rounds through it. It has started to lock in the closed position after firing. The top ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forums by Model > Merkel Shotgun Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2019, 05:27 AM   #1

Member #16038
Action opening problem

I have a new Merkel 147 with about 100 rounds through it. It has started to lock in the closed position after firing. The top lever can't be pushed all the way to the right to open the action. Gently tapping it with a rubber mallet gets it open. It doesn't do this when dry fired with snap caps. I've cleaned and lubed the cross bolt and can find no evidence of unusual wear or damage. The action is very tight. Any ideas or is it time to call Merkel? Thanks.
reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-30-2019, 06:54 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
What ammo are you using? If steel based, it might be expanding just enough to cause issues.

And welcome from Florida!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by oneounceload; 06-08-2019 at 11:11 AM. Reason: spelling
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:46 AM   #3

Member #4993
They are known for tight chambers. I polished the chambers my 147 and it made a huge difference.

"the loudest sound in the world is a click when you expect a bang, or a bang when you expect a click"

Old 03-30-2019, 09:42 AM   #4

Member #16038
The shells are brass based and eject with no problem. The top lever will not go far enough to the right to completely unlock the crossbolt. A light tap on the lever with a rubber mallet does the trick.
reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:06 AM   #5

Member #5570
Inadequate lube by any chance?
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:25 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Try pulling the stock and check for possibly some gunk in the action preventing it from opening.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:12 PM   #7

Member #14924
stuck Merkel

I have had that happen to me when I had a new lock put in my Perazzi o/u New locks sometimes need some wear in time I put moly with graphite on the bolt and it seated after a short while and I then cleaned it off. That was 10,000 rounds ago. I would call Merkel to make sure they are aware of the problem I am sure they heard it hundreds of times hard steel with tight tolerances.
Dead Last is offline   Reply With Quote