Newbie with a Merkel problem! - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Newbie with a Merkel problem!

This is a discussion on Newbie with a Merkel problem! within the Merkel Shotgun Forum forums, part of the Shotgun Forums by Model category; I have only recently developed an interest in Merkels - a member of our rifle club said that he had an old shotgun that he ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forums by Model > Merkel Shotgun Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 04:33 AM   #1

Member #1389
Newbie with a Merkel problem!

I have only recently developed an interest in Merkels - a member of our rifle club said that he had an old shotgun that he wanted to get rid of , was I interested?

A couple of days later, after inspecting the gun of what was then an unknown make to me across his dining table, I handed the gun back to him saying that the gun was beautifully made and that I was unable to offer him anywhere near the true worth of the gun.

His response? I would rather it went to someone who would use it rather than just sit in a safe!

It is a 12 gauge 200E manufactured in 1966 (the same year we beat the Germans in the World Cup final) with a Prince of Wales or semi pistol grip and single non-selective trigger.
The barrels have been shortened to 25" and the stock has been shortened and a rubber recoil pad fitted.

I am 6'2" with arms like an orang-utan so there is no way that this gun should fit me at all - yet the gun moves at the speed of thought and seems to point itself at the target!

So here is where the problem occurs - I have just managed to acquire another!
The same basic model, this time 28" barrels, double triggers and a straight stock.
Unfortunately the stock is cracked at the hand and will require repair or replacement.

Can anyone help with advice for the repair or replacement of the stock or alternatively provide a remedy for the complete loss of my capacity for rational thought every time I pick up one of these guns?
Capreolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #148
cracks can be fixed relatively easily by any gunsmith using fancy expoxies that are injected intothe crack and squeezed. i had guns repaired and you couldnt see the crack when done. since the gun is cracked, collectors value is gone...so fix it and enjoy it. and while its being fixed, ask the smith to see if he can see what caused it to crack, like a spur of wood, a chip inside the inletting, a burr of steel, or something loose.
Certified NRA Shotgun Instructor
Skeet & Trap Range Owner
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page
how to remove stock on post war merkel shotgun

merkel 280el point of aim problems

merkel 280el single trigger

merkel s/s 147el single trigger 20 ga

merkel shotgun problems

merkel shotgun repair

merkel shotgun repairs

merkel shotguns problems
Click on a term to search for related topics.