Ithaca Model 500 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Ithaca Model 500

This is a discussion on Ithaca Model 500 within the Ithaca Shotgun Forum forums, part of the Shotgun Forums by Model category; After a bit of a hiatus from the forum and shooting and am ready to hit the range this spring. I have also been keeping ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forums by Model > Ithaca Shotgun Forum

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 08:07 AM   #1

Member #1802
Ithaca Model 500

After a bit of a hiatus from the forum and shooting and am ready to hit the range this spring. I have also been keeping an eye on gun broker auctions and am currently interested in adding an Ithaca Model 500 12GA to pair with my 20GA.

I have found two models for sale, both $500 out the door. My local gun shop has one which has near perfect stocks and for ends, but the barrel has a few marks and some wear. I also found a model on-line which has great condition barrels but the stocks are pretty worn and the forend has a large crack.

All said and done I would prefer to keep my monies local but wanted to consult the forum. Would you prefer to purchase a shotgun with a worn barrel or furniture?
Brendenlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-25-2014, 05:27 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #148
correct me if im wrong but the 500 was the basic model with fixed chokes? i had one way back and cant remember....other than that its a flat shooter well suited for hunting.
Skeet & Trap Range Owner
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:14 PM   #3

Member #1906
Depends on your purpose.
If you're a collector a beater won't hold much value.
If you're after a barn gun, faultless cosmetics is kind of a waste of money.
John Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2014, 06:11 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Member #148
i'd lean towards the guy who took care of it.
Skeet & Trap Range Owner
Old 03-28-2014, 09:22 PM   #5

Member #1802
Thanks for the advice guys. As I was winding down the search I found a very nice example which was in better condition than both I was previously looking at.

Being that it is a fairly inexpensive model and I am no collector it is all minutia but I still want to get the best example possible with my money. Pics spoon if I win the auction
Old 03-29-2014, 08:09 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Member #148
youll like it. i hated to get rid of mine...but the house needed a new roof.
Skeet & Trap Range Owner
Old 04-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #7

Member #1802
Ithaca Model 500

After some waiting I finally received my 12 ga Ithaca 500. I went and shot 100 wheels through her yesterday and everything functioned great, although I didn't hold up my end of the bargain.

I did notice a noise coming from the stock that after some investigation found out is a recoil reducer. I am guessing it is one of the mercury ones, but it sounds like a hydraulic piston shifting up and down very slowly when I move the gun. Is this something that can malfunction or need servicing?

Further, since I am looking to get back into clays I was curious about the chokes and which model I should use on either a trap or skeet field. The 20 ga is a MOD/IMP and the 12 ga is FULL/MOD. I was thinking that the top FULL pattern may not have opened up enough in the closer skeet shots as I couldn't seem to hit a thing yesterday.

Either way I am excited to see improvement through practice and error corrections and I am even considering paying for a couple hours with an instructor so i don't learn bad habits on the front end.

RKB likes this.

Last edited by Brendenlow; 04-20-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #8
RKB

Member #2031
Mercury reducers seldom go bad, they are usually just a sealed tube with mercury inside, the inertia of the mercury tends to spread out the felt recoil pulse. It does need to be snug in the stock, if it can move around it defeats the purpose. Take the recoil pad off and check it. If you see any leaks, well, mercury is highly toxic.
Mod/full is a bit tight for skeet but should be fine for trap/sporting clays unless the sporting course has a lot of close-in stuff. I still like to shoot skeet with my Win 21 with IM/XF chokes, I don't hit them all but when I center one up, WOW!
You could also consider having choke tubes installed so you can change it, depends on how serious you are going to be.
Overall, good choice on the gun, I have always felt that the SKB Ithaca's were a great value and very under-rated, but that helps keep the price down.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Member #148
i saw this coming. you got a gun not suited for both skeet and trap, rather trap only. now youre stuck sinking more into it to get chokes for both games. why not just get a skeet gun and leave them alone and use what you have, for trap?
Skeet & Trap Range Owner
Old 04-20-2014, 08:28 PM   #10

Member #1802
I don't plan on adding any chokes since I prefer all of my guns, both handguns and long guns to be unmolested, so I will stick with what I have for the time being.

In a year I may decide to go full bore with a higher grade gun more suited to one of the two sports and include all the bells and whistles, but I really wanted a 12 ga to go with my 500 in 20, so that makes me happy regardless. Knowing that it is suited well to trap is fine with me since I haven't shot enough of either to have a preferred sport, and I found one with a 30' barrel to be serviceable with trap.

That being said would I be better suited with my 20 on the skeet field with the only slightly more open chokes or will that give me fits as well?

@RKB...The few times I was dead on yesterday they absolutely destroyed the clay which was a fun sight to see! : )
RKB likes this.

Search tags for this page
ithaca 500
ithaca 500 over under
ithaca 500 review

ithaca 500 shotgun

ithaca model 500

ithaca model 500 reviews

ithaca model 500 shotgun

ithaca model 500 year made
Click on a term to search for related topics.