Digging Out the DSPS - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Digging Out the DSPS

This is a discussion on Digging Out the DSPS within the Ithaca Shotgun Forum forums, part of the Shotgun Forums by Model category; My first modern firearm was a Model 37 Deer Slayer Police Special, which I own to this day. I had this gun all through college ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forums by Model > Ithaca Shotgun Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Deanimator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2020, 02:16 AM   #1

Member #18404
Digging Out the DSPS

My first modern firearm was a Model 37 Deer Slayer Police Special, which I own to this day.

I had this gun all through college and the military, including time on the DMZ in Korea in '81.

Having lived in a horrible cracker box of an apartment for the last twenty years, I haven't bothered with long guns for self-defense. Nothing non-NFA would have been appropriate to my environment.

A recent move due to a catastrophic fire next door has me now living in a decent place where you could actually use a long gun for self-defense.

The ongoing societal violence (probably ramping up even more) motivated me to get my AR15 situation sorted out, and having just finished that, I saw no reason to exclude the Ithaca. It's a plain gun with a factory(?) recoil pad and fixed rifle sights.

I just bought a hundred rounds of Aguila 00 buck, a bandolier, some snap caps and a cleaning kit for it.

I haven't shot this gun for twenty years. I had to replace the shell stop back in the '80s when it broke. I vaguely recall having some feeding issues in the late '80s or early '90s, but can't remember details. I was hoping to feed test it with the snap caps, but they're two days late.

The gun's a little finish worn, but in much better shape than I remembered.

If it turns out to need work, Ithaca is fortunately now here in Ohio. Are they recommended for general check up/repairs?

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding accessories or improvements? There are far fewer third party items than there used to be, but at the same time, it's a better gun out of the box than a lot of what's being made now.

Last edited by Deanimator; 11-02-2020 at 10:59 AM.
Deanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-02-2020, 12:40 PM   #2

Member #18404
I just got my snap caps. No failures to feed or double feeds.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:23 AM   #3

Member #430
You can send Ithaca Sandusky an email, I'm sure they can help you out.
But Diamond Gunsmithing is probably the older Ithaca people:
https://diamondgunsmithing.com/

Test fire your DSPS asap.

I have an older Ithaca M37 that my Dad had bought me and the barrel lug came off. I sent it to Ithaca King Ferry and they installed a new barrel as well as new wood. I acquired an older "DEERSLAYER" barrel and my gun is now at Diamond getting the barrel installed.
kenhwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #4

Member #18404
I finally got it to the range today.

Twenty eight rounds (fourteen each) of 0 and 00 buck fed perfectly. I did short stroke it once. Not bad for not having shot it for twenty years.
desmobob likes this.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:42 AM   #5

Member #18404
Spent the weekend figuring out how to get the action apart and giving it the first good cleaning it's had in at least thirty years. I cleaned everything including the magazine tube and spring. Just as last time I had the action apart (to replace a shell stop) I had to cut down the handle on a screwdriver so that I could get it into the butt to remove the stock bolt. I had one long enough in the kit I bought, but the shaft was thick enough that I couldn't clearly see whether I had the screwdriver in the slot or next to the bolt head. Rather than gouge up the inside of the stock, I cut the handle down on a slightly smaller screwdriver so that I could ensure that I was turning the bolt and not damaging the stock.

It took me a while to figure out how to get the action back together, but everything is cleaned, lubed and functioning now. Between the DSPS and the AR, I'm ready for whatever happens in the coming weeks and months.

Note: The videos I watched indicate that there should be some kind of spring retainer that keeps the left side interrupter in place. It's not there and I don't recall ever seeing it as long as I've owned the gun. Apparently it's not vital to the working of the gun, since the only issue I've ever had with it was a broken shell stop thirty+ years ago.