Model 51 mag - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Model 51 mag

This is a discussion on Model 51 mag within the Ithaca Shotgun Forum forums, part of the Shotgun Forums by Model category; Just got a 51 that the previous owner said would only shoot one shell at a time and I've read several post so from reading ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forums by Model > Ithaca Shotgun Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #1

Member #15602
Model 51 mag

Just got a 51 that the previous owner said would only shoot one shell at a time and I've read several post so from reading them I've replaced the action spring that I had to cut down to lock the bolt and also replaced both buffers so now it wont lift the shell into the chamber the crimped end hangs up on the shell still in the mag or on the mag cup if the last shell and the other problem is the bolt does not cycle back when the one in chamber fires it doesn't move the bolt at all, I checked and cleaned the gas hole in the btm of barrel and read mags should have 2 holes mine only has one completely drilled thru, any ideas? Thanks
Shag is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-11-2019, 06:46 PM   #2

Member #15602
Can someone with a 51 mag measure the length of their action spring, I know each will vary a little but I'm thinking if someone was in this before and changed out the spring but couldn't figure out the adjustments maybe it was to long and is effecting the elevator to raise fast enough if the bolts not coming back far or fast enough.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:46 PM   #3

Member #4993
Count coils, not measure length. Far far more important. Just my $.02

"the loudest sound in the world is a click when you expect a bang, or a bang when you expect a click"

Old 03-12-2019, 05:00 AM   #4

Member #15602
I agree but someone has to know what it is when installed because everything I have read says replace frequently, so if the spring compressed or stretched this will change the integrity of the spring so I'm looking for a base line.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:17 AM   #5

Member #4993
Originally Posted by Shag View Post
I agree but someone has to know what it is when installed because everything I have read says replace frequently, so if the spring compressed or stretched this will change the integrity of the spring so I'm looking for a base line.
The length still has little to do with it. New springs are, in many cases, shorter than old ones, even on compression springs. Coils, gauge wire, and temper are the important aspects of a spring. If you call wolf gunsprings, they dont ask how long, they ask for wire gauge and number of coils.

"the loudest sound in the world is a click when you expect a bang, or a bang when you expect a click"
Old 03-12-2019, 01:20 PM   #6

Member #15602
So the answer I got after making a few calls to Smith's I've heard work on Ithaca was new springs are sold long, so new 15 1/2" replace when compressed to 14 1/2 if the bolt wont lock back adjust as necessary.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:49 AM   #7

Member #4993
Cut 1/2 a coil or less at a time.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:52 AM   #8

Member #15602
Thanks Mad, will be the weekend project.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:06 AM   #9

Member #4993
I understand, moved my lathe yesterday so I can get a few weekend projects finished on clients guns myself. Best of luck and message me if you run into issues.