LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch - Page 6 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch

This is a discussion on LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch within the High-End and Specialty Shotguns forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; Hey All We finally got to a part of the build that could be carried out at home, so I put my Sunday to good ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > High-End and Specialty Shotguns

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2020, 08:44 PM   #51

Member #16956
LC Smith Build--Spotting in the Ersatz Barrels

Hey All
We finally got to a part of the build that could be carried out at home, so I put my Sunday to good use after the wife and I took in our live streamed service. Spotting in does not change much between mediums in my opinion. The spotting agent changes, the cutting speed of the material changes, and of course the closer the fit required, the more elbow grease you can expect to expend. The basic idea, however; does not change. You coat the engaging surface with a marker of some kind to indicate the high spots, you place the parts together to light up the high spots, and you remove them. You start with a coarse removal method, you graduate to a fine removal method, and you finish with a very fine removal method. Abrasives do not see much use, because they tend to cut on all surfaces and destroy the fit. The possible exception is the lapping compounds for metal to metal fit, but they can overcut at times also. Usually the scraper is the last word, be it for wood or metal.

Here in picture #1 and picture#2--the good old candle used to black the frame and then when mated with the wood the high spots are marked picture #3.

The soft wood pattern barrels cut very quickly, starting with a Shurform round file, and moving to a fine round rat tail. My farrier's rasp was used to touch up the face of the barrels as they began to come into contact. Picture #4

Picture #5--Here are the pattern barrels fitted and drawn up with the screw from underneath. Only a few hours work required.

Next up. . . get out the wooden extension rib and laminate it in.
Attached Thumbnails
LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03602.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03603.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03605.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03606.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03608.jpg  

4575wcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-19-2020, 05:24 AM   #52

Member #16956
LC Smith Build--Install and Fit the Ersatz Top Rib Extension

Hey All
I continued working on the pattern barrels this week; once again I am arrived at a small portion of the build I can do here at home this weekend. Each weekday I managed to get in an hour or so before work in on the pattern barrels.

Here in picture #1 the wooden rib extension has been shaped to a reverse impression of the cutout in the breech end of the barrels and then the extension is glued in with 5 minute epoxy. The threaded shank of the T nut was filled with a bit of Johnson's Turtle car wax prior to gluing. This kept the threads clear of the epoxy and prevented any epoxy from leaking out of the pocket bottom. These precautions are absolutely necessary whenever working with Brownell's Acraglas later in the build, so we incorporate them now also. Mechanical bridging and overflowing must be assiduously avoided when working with Acraglas, or you can build in an unbelievable amount of extra work for yourself. Whenever the product runs onto a surface or into a pocket where you do not want it during gun work, a very permanent adhesion takes place and mechanical removal becomes necessary.

In picture #2, the wooden extension has been milled to .240 width to match exactly the extension cutout in the frame. It is left a bit deeper and longer than finished size and the spotting in of the rib Picture #3, is left for part of the home weekend project.

While we have access to the mill, Picture #4, the wooden barrels are set up and the top surfaces are profiled flat with an end mill to begin approximating the top rib.

Picture #5, we have gone about as far as we can with the mill, the hand shaping of the pattern barrels and fore end are pretty straightforward from here.
Attached Thumbnails
LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03609.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03610.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03611.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03612.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03613.jpg  

Old 09-23-2020, 05:19 AM   #53

Member #16956
LC Smith Build--The Pattern Maker is Nearly Done

Hey All
One more benefit to these builds is you get to endorse a product or two along the way. The pattern barrels are very nearly complete now. I am filing and sanding out the last few rough areas each morning. During the process it occurred to me that the ribs and the lug area of the barrels could be built up a bit with something, rather than taking the time to get out wooden filler blocks and glue them into these areas. I decided to see what was out there for a wood filler these days, and bought this product by Elmer's at our local hardware store. Picture #1.
While this product finishes way too soft to be of any use for gun stock work, it is very useful in pattern making. It should be limited to fill areas in wood work, since it works well in compression, but you cannot build up a shoulder or an outside edge with it. The plus side is the water content has been vastly reduced from the fillers of old, so shrinkage is very minor, and the bond seems much improved. When I opened the container, I first thought the contents had expired. It is very dry, about like plumbers putty going on. This makes it very easy to work with and very little mess. Picture #2 shows the deep valley between the barrels at the breech end. Picture #4 the screw well coated with candle wax, then the screw installed and the area puttied up Picture #3. Picture #5 shows the bottom rib. It is amazing how close this rib came out. The process was done just as you would glaze a window pane in the old days, by wetting a finger and dragging the surface out to smooth the joint. Almost no finish sanding is required. The down side is the filler, while paintable, is probably not going to stain. I will shoot these "try" barrels with a clear coat spray sealer to get a harder surface that will clean up easily, and call it good.
Attached Thumbnails
LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03615.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03614.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03620.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03616.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03617.jpg  

Last edited by 4575wcf; 09-23-2020 at 05:25 AM.

Search tags for this page

lc build on the shotgun forum in the high end specialty forum

Click on a term to search for related topics.