LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch - Page 10 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch

This is a discussion on LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch within the High-End and Specialty Shotguns forums, part of the Shotgun Forum Discussions category; Hey All I laid out and took the second milling cut on the butt stock yesterday morning, removing wood from an obviously oversized place on ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forum Discussions > High-End and Specialty Shotguns

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2021, 06:14 AM   #91

Member #16956
LC Smith Build--The Second Cut on the Buttstock

Hey All
I laid out and took the second milling cut on the butt stock yesterday morning, removing wood from an obviously oversized place on the stock without taking any big risks at this point. I marked out the material to be removed under the top tang Picture #1, milled some of it off Picture #2, adjusted the stock in the vise a little, and milled the rest of it Picture #3. Then we scribed the usual line center of blank Pictures #4 and #5. This morning I will need to finish dressing the repaired end of the tang to final shape prior to beginning the inlet.
Attached Thumbnails
LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03854.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03855.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03856.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03857.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03858.jpg  

4575wcf is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-14-2021, 05:46 AM   #92

Member #16956
LC Smith Build--Some Judicious Filing and Finishing on the Top Tang

Hey All
With the tapped hole repaired in the top tang and most of the built up TIG weld removed it was a pretty straightforward small job to finish out this surface. Every effort was made to hold the exact thickness of the web between the tapped hole and the radiused end of the tang. The LC Smith top tang on the feather weight receiver 12 gauge measures at about 15/32 inch at the point where the thinner part begins just behind the hole for front tang screw, and tapers to about 13/32 radius diameter at the tang end. One thing that becomes obvious working on this shotgun, is that every dimension seems to be held to the nearest standard inch measurement. This is the way I wind up building most standard duplicate parts that come into the machine shop destroyed beyond accurate measurement, so it is a familiar process. 15/32 inch (.468) at start and tapered to 13/32 (.406) in this example. Assuming the .406 diameter at the rear of the tang, and subtracting the #8-32 minor diameter of #29 drill (.136) leaves .270 material, half of which is .135. This is the measurement held as closely as possible all around the hole at the tang end to get the hole on center and looking symmetrical as possible. Picture #1--top of tang, and Picture #2, bottom of tang. Picture #3 shows the slight draft filed into the end to aid in getting a good inlet fit at the tang end and picture #4 shows the finished end. A very light judicious shoe shine sanding on the radiused end with four progressively finer grits of emery strip finishes the surface and blends out any flats left by the filing, while at the same time softening the edges without really giving them any unsightly rounded off appearance. I assiduously avoid the buffing wheel in my gunsmith work, there is no real substitute for hand finishing of wood and metal. The process begins to go pretty quickly, becoming progressively less time consuming the more you do it. More guns, more experience, that is the ticket!
Attached Thumbnails
LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03859.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03860.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03861.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03862.jpg  

Last edited by 4575wcf; 01-17-2021 at 05:00 AM.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:42 AM   #93

Member #16956
LC Smith Build--Initial Cut for Top Tang Inlet

Hey All
Three separate radius corners now come into play all at the same time in order to inlet the top tang into the new wood. They are the radius in the frame forging where the tang and frame come together on the bottom side, and mirror image radii on either side of the tang where it meets the frame. See Pictures #'s 1, 2 and 3. I calculated that I am still a bit high up with the wood at the very front of the stock, so I milled a notch .700 wide, 1 3/4 inch long, and 3/8 deep into the stock, and feathered this cut out the back of the wrist at 3/8 wide, see picture #4. I will soot up the tang bottom at this point and begin to sink it in place until the narrow back tang is resting on the wrist surface of the wood. At that point I will trace around the whole tang and continue to sink the works. I will need to keep an eye on that mark for the drop at heel though, adjusting the slope of the tang inlet and possibly the angle where the frame joins as things progress, so I am still precisely on the mark there when the tang arrives on location, with wood 1/16 proud all around. These things could be largely ignored with properly sized wood that would clean up all around, but the extra care with the initial inlet is no real bother so long as I stay on my toes about it. Picture #5 is the tracing around the front end of the tang showing the wood to be removed to accommodate the radii at left and right.
Attached Thumbnails
LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03863.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03864.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03865.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03868.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03869.jpg  

Last edited by 4575wcf; 01-15-2021 at 05:55 AM.

Old 01-16-2021, 07:56 AM   #94

Member #16956
LC Smith Build--Beginnings of the Top Tang Inletting

Hey All
Here in picture #1 is my newest secret weapon. I was years discovering this trick, it is one of those things you wonder why you never thought of yourself. I have been fooling around with guns for nearly 45 years now, and since my earliest fumbling self taught days learning to inlet I have been using a sorry candle flame to soot my parts. This is a slow, cumbersome, and incomplete way to get there, take it from me. Some months ago I watched one of Larry Potterfield's several u-tube shotgun videos online with English gunsmith Jack Rowe. Jack was using a shaped stick and a can of some liquid to do his sooting. It finally dawned on me that the liquid could only be kerosene, and my sooting of parts was transformed forever.

The bottle is an empty power steering fluid container that I had lying about. It caps tightly, is relatively spill proof, and rides in the LC Smith box. It does give the contents of the box the slight unmistakable aroma of coal oil, which either you don't mind or you hate. Personally I do not find it objectionable. The section of half inch dowel is a sliding fit in the bottle, see Picture #2. The sooting up of the parts becomes a matter of a couple seconds work to get a very complete job, keeping the contacting surfaces well coated to mark the high spots in the inlet. You dunk the dowel, fire her up with a match, and in the few seconds it takes to soot the part, see Picture #3, the fuel does the burning producing the soot and the stick doesn't burn much. You blow the stick out good between sootings, you keep the bottle capped, and you don't slop the kerosene around the work area obviously. In Picture #4, we have sooted the tang up and rapped it gently in place with a rubber mallet, and the first few contact areas are blacked. Picture #5, after a half hour or so of rather quiet and pleasant file and light chisel work, we have a good outlined start on an inletting area that will show on the finished gun and needs to fit well. I will never be included in the annals of the really great inlet gunsmiths, but I can now do work that suits me, and I am a pretty picky guy.
Attached Thumbnails
LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03870.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03871.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03872.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03873.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03874.jpg  

Last edited by 4575wcf; 01-16-2021 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:35 AM   #95

Member #16956
LC Smith Build--Top Tang Inlet First Stage Nearly There

Hey All
Another half hour to forty five minutes time inletting yesterday morning, and the rear tang is sunk down to about one-eighth inch short of touching the wrist, see Picture #1. Once it begins to bear, we can trace around the full length, return the stock to the milling machine, and rough in the remaining inlet slot full depth with a 3/8 end mill. The milling machine really comes into its own here, giving absolutely flat bottomed starting cuts to nearly finished depth, a process that is not so easy to arrive at by hand. This works because the stock blank is fairly square and flat, whereas with semi inlet wood there is never a flat or parallel surface to vise on, and always the opportunity exists to crush, move, or damage the wood in the vise. In hand inletting, the semi finished butt stock gives the basic finished profile and saves time, but to machine inlet, it is always better to start with the basic flat wood blank. In Picture #2, the metal is now nearly contacting the bottom of the initial cut.
Attached Thumbnails
LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03875.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03876.jpg  

Last edited by 4575wcf; 01-19-2021 at 05:40 AM.
Old Yesterday, 05:53 AM   #96

Member #16956
LC Smith--Tang Inlet Ready to Return to the Milling Machine

Hey All
Another half hour to 45 minutes continued marking and sinking the tang, and we have the rear end of the tang bearing on the wrist wood, and can mark it all around with a very sharp pencil, see Picture #1 and #2. Next up this morning we will set up a new sharp 3/8 endmill and mill a full depth slot ever so slightly narrower and shorter than the tang. Every effort will be made to just touch the pencil line at the end of the tang radius and no more. Depth of cut will be held to the thickness of the tang plus 1/16, and a few judicious shifts of the stock in the vise, and blending cuts will be necessary to get an accurate depth all along the curvature of the wrist. Once this cut is in place, we can soot up the tang and set it down until we touch bottom all along the entire inlet surface. When the tang is bottomed with wood 1/16 proud all around, we will put the stock fixture back on, and see how well we are staying with the drop at heel mark so far.
Attached Thumbnails
LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03877.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03878.jpg  
Old Today, 06:07 AM   #97

Member #16956
LC Smith Build--Tang Inlet Milling Complete, Enter the Scrapers

Hey All
Wednesday morning I set stock up in the milling machine and ran the notch for the rear tang inlet full depth plus one sixteenth. See Pictures #1 and #2. We are easily set in within 1/64 of wood all around the recess, see Pictures #3 and #4, and it is time to put the chisels away and graduate to the scrapers. This morning I will round up my scrapers from my workbench here at home, and stick them in the LC box. A few hours of sooting and scraping only where the metal bears to avoid any large unsightly gaps remains to be done to finish the top tang inlet. Unless of course our drop at heel is out, then we may need to "rock" the fit a few degrees one way or the other, but not much additional wood should need to come out at any rate. Next up, a bit of metal work to get the front trigger blank in place in the trigger plate prior to inletting the bottom tang metal.
Attached Thumbnails
LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03879.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03880.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03881.jpg   LC Smith Project Gun Starting From Scratch-dsc03882.jpg  

Search tags for this page

armslist lc smith

lc build on the shotgun forum in the high end specialty forum

lc smith safety spring 2020

Click on a term to search for related topics.