20ga Topper Firing Pin - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

20ga Topper Firing Pin

This is a discussion on 20ga Topper Firing Pin within the H&R / NEF forums, part of the Shotgun Forums by Model category; I picked up a rough 20ga topper for practically nothing, and decided to spruce it up. After refinishing the barrel and furniture (I didnít disassemble ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forums by Model > H&R / NEF

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jack Ryan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2021, 08:32 PM   #1

Member #18816
20ga Topper Firing Pin

I picked up a rough 20ga topper for practically nothing, and decided to spruce it up. After refinishing the barrel and furniture (I didnít disassemble the receiver) I decided to dry fire it (I know, I know). Anywho, when I release the trigger the firing pin does not return. It returns when I lift the hammer. Iím thinking it is the striker spring getting weak. Any thoughts? Thanks!
MadMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-04-2021, 09:15 PM   #2

Member #16968
I think you broke a pin or something in the transfer bar mechanism when you dry fired it.

Those are not suppose to ever be dry fired and that is a pretty common thing to break on them.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:38 PM   #3

Member #18816
Originally Posted by Jack Ryan View Post
I think you broke a pin or something in the transfer bar mechanism when you dry fired it.

Those are not suppose to ever be dry fired and that is a pretty common thing to break on them.
I donít think so. I compared it to my .410 and itís exactly the same but without the issue. I guess I may just have to take it apart.

Is that a common issue? My .410 has probably been dry fired a billion times by every kid thatís ever put their hands on it. All original 1970s and no issues.
MadMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2021, 09:50 PM   #4

Member #16968
Originally Posted by MadMaximus View Post
I donít think so. I compared it to my .410 and itís exactly the same but without the issue. I guess I may just have to take it apart.

Is that a common issue? My .410 has probably been dry fired a billion times by every kid thatís ever put their hands on it. All original 1970s and no issues.
Sounds like you got it under control then.

Best of luck to ya!
DaveSy likes this.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:29 AM   #5

Member #460
A lot of the old single shot shotguns were built like that. The FP is at an angle(downward) so when you close it the extractor pushes the FP back into it's hole.
The Happy Kaboomer is offline   Reply With Quote