Is there any reason to not use a scope when hunting deer? - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Is there any reason to not use a scope when hunting deer?

This is a discussion on Is there any reason to not use a scope when hunting deer? within the General Hunting and Conservation forums, part of the Hunting category; I live in a shotgun only area and I’m new to hunting. I’m going to get a rifled Savage 220 with a scope for deer ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Hunting > General Hunting and Conservation

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2020, 09:37 AM   #1

Member #17768
Is there any reason to not use a scope when hunting deer?

I live in a shotgun only area and I’m new to hunting. I’m going to get a rifled Savage 220 with a scope for deer hunting.

I’m wondering if I should also get a non scoped shotgun? Is there any situations where a non scoped shotgun would be better for deer hunting? And if yes what kind of shotgun/sights would you recommend?

I’m also thinking of rabbit/turkey hunting so if I get a second gun I’d like it to be a jack of all trades type of shotgun where I can hunt deer, rabbit, turkey etc.

Thanks for your answers.
stubtoeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-06-2020, 12:16 PM   #2

Member #7073
All good questions stubtoeman but a lot of the shooters here are trap and skeet people or like me in a State where rifles are used for hunting ...but I would think a low power scope would work well..I think the experts will be along soon..
packrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:05 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Maybe a Red Dot in lieu of a scope?
ChanceMcCall likes this.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2020, 11:14 AM   #4

Member #9953
No reason not to use a low power scope or a red dot on a slug gun for deer.

On my Mossberg 500 I used a no-gunsmith saddle mount with a Bushnell 1.5-4 scope.

Good Luck.
Hard H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:01 PM   #5

Member #17772
I use a Bushnell Elite scope on my Rem 11-87 with cantilever. I would suggest a 20 ga since it has less recoil and shoots flatter with sabot slugs. 12 ga is really overkill for deer and the shooters shoulder. You can only shoot sabot slugs from a rifled shotgun barrel, shoot shot and it just spins out into a huge pattern that completely misses at close range.
Many good shotguns for a second shotgun and I would still suggest a 20 ga, a semi if you can afford it. Some of the older Italian ones weigh very little, I have a 20 ga semi at 6 pounds. Extra pounds tend to weigh even more the longer you carry it.
ChanceMcCall likes this.
Will M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 04:29 PM   #6

Member #2047
I would not use a scope ...

I would not use a scope. I have had enough days where rain or snow made iron sights a better choice. The range of the shotgun doesn't really require a scope. And for me, I walk and hunt. It is nice to be able to wrap your hand around the gun at the balance point when you walk and you can't do that, at least comfortably, with a scope mounted. Weighs a bit less too.
ChanceMcCall likes this.
David Lee Valdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:13 PM   #7

Member #5321
No scope on my .410

As was already said...iron sights are good up to most effective shotgun deer slug ranges...45-50 yds.
A 3 inch load in 410 is ~700 fps at 50yds...and quite deadly
Optics can be helpful...but not necessary...personal choice!
Shot placement is the real key...practice 3x before you get comfortable to hunt live - is a good rule of thumb.
FYI I use mine for feral hogs as well...being careful to hit the right vital organs on any game!
Rche
R_che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:33 PM   #8

Member #16968
I'm ok with it. Used one for years and years.

I don't see any reason for two guns. One good one is all you need. I buy Remingtons 870, 1100, 1187.

Important thing is one barrel for deer hunting and another with choke tubes for every thing else. If you like a scope on every thing else, then you will like one on that slug barrel. If you don't like 'em on any thing else then you won't. Get a slug barrel with adjustable rifle type sights or a cantilever set up for the scope based on what you already like. Shot gun is no reason to change any thing different.

Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Not what some pimple face sales clerk say is "Just as good as a..." Not what ever is on sale that day. Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington Remington

Did I make that clear? Remington Remington Remington

When you start testing your gun, paper plates are for picnics. How far you can put every shot in to a softball size target, EVERY TIME, that is how far you are good to shoot. Nothing else matter, what ever gun you are using, if you can hit that soft ball on the range every single shot, how far away you can do that, that is how far you are good to shoot at a living breathing trophy animal in the field. Not a single step more. Might be 25 yards, might be 150, might be TEN. It isn't up to someone else, it is up to you to do your due diligence and KNOW WHAT YOU CAN DO.
RKB likes this.

Last edited by Jack Ryan; 07-09-2020 at 08:55 PM.
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:05 PM   #9

Member #16526
Use what you want. All depends on ranges of your typical shots. Up close and personal in tight timber, probably not. Stretching out to extended "slug" ranges, probably so.
southdakbearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:27 PM   #10

Member #1440
I agree with southdakbearfan above. In the heavy brush or woods, your range is generally less than 50 yards, so a scope is unnecessary, and you will probably use "full-bore" slugs. Iron sights will work well. If you are out on open ranges, possibly a 1x4 variable scope would work better, and you will probably be using sabot slugs; however, if you are in that situation, I highly suggest practicing a bunch at the shooting range. Shooting a shotgun at 100+ yards accurately take a lot of practice, especially in selecting which brand and versions within that brand of ammo.
ChanceMcCall likes this.
JimH is offline   Reply With Quote