Help with I-12 Misfires on light target loads - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Help with I-12 Misfires on light target loads

This is a discussion on Help with I-12 Misfires on light target loads within the Franchi Shotgun Forum forums, part of the Shotgun Forums by Model category; Hey all, I purchased a friend's used I-12 for 3 gun competitions. I ran a comp a few weeks ago with Winchester's Super Target ammo. ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forums by Model > Franchi Shotgun Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2020, 11:20 AM   #1

Member #17332
Help with I-12 Misfires on light target loads

Hey all,
I purchased a friend's used I-12 for 3 gun competitions. I ran a comp a few weeks ago with Winchester's Super Target ammo.

https://winchester.com/Products/Ammu...l/Super-Target

I found about 1 out of every 5 shots would misfire. The previous round would cycle the bolt, the round would eject and a new round would load. However, when I pulled the trigger again, the firing pin would not actually strike the primer on the shells. I know this because spotter/videographer picked up all the shells that misfired, and the primers were never struck fully. They just had a very small divet where the pin barely made contact with the shell.

I completely disassembled my Bolt and checked everything. It was pretty clean, a little over oiled from my friend storing it, but nothing seemed dirty or clogged up. Is it possible the spring on the firing pin is too heavy for light loads?

I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue, and how they've solved it.

Thanks in advance,
Todd
tnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-03-2020, 04:29 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #148
welcome.........

its cheap ammo. 99% chance thats the cause.
NSSA All American
Certified NRA Shotgun Instructor
Skeet & Trap Range Owner
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:32 AM   #3

Member #15516
Franchi are recoil operated and I read that this is not an uncommon problem. As Bobski pointed out, you might try switching ammo. You might also call Franchi and see what they say. Good luck.

Phone: (301) 283-6981 (option 1) or (800) 264-4962 (option 2)
jwsmith1959 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2020, 07:04 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Member #148
possible inconsistent primer seat from factory assy line.
NSSA All American
Certified NRA Shotgun Instructor
Skeet & Trap Range Owner
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:55 PM   #5

Member #17484
i-12 issues

I have 2 of the i-12 sporting models. IF you're having issues with that model then you arent shooting a heavy enough load. The gun doesnt like to cycle on factory standard or light loads. I contacted Franchi in regards to this issue when I first purchased the gun and was instructed the Sporting clay needs that extra punch to force back the heavy bolt and recoil spring. MAYBE by purchasing a lighter recoil spring and or inertia spring you can remedy that issue. https://www.midwestgunworks.com/franchi-i12/parts.html#/filter:hierarchy:Gun$2520Parts$253EFranchi$253ESho tgun$2520Parts$253EFranchi$2520I-12$253EBolt$2520Assemblies
I didnt worry about it as I shoot heavy reloads at 1450-1550 fps. Plenty of punch and I never have an eject issue with those heavy game loads. When shooting light target loads on a day plinking clays... i have the issue constantly. Like 1/2 the shell will not cycle.
Hope this helps you...

Last edited by rfuller; 04-30-2020 at 12:00 AM.
rfuller is offline   Reply With Quote