Browning Lower Fire pin, burn through, deteriorated etc, - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Browning Lower Fire pin, burn through, deteriorated etc,

This is a discussion on Browning Lower Fire pin, burn through, deteriorated etc, within the Browning Shotgun Forum forums, part of the Shotgun Forums by Model category; Has there been a fix or cure for lower pin on the 725 when using so called HARD PRIMERS shells and have experience primer burn ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forums by Model > Browning Shotgun Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2020, 05:39 AM   #1

Member #16356
Browning Lower Fire pin, burn through, deteriorated etc,

Has there been a fix or cure for lower pin on the 725 when using so called HARD PRIMERS shells and have experience primer burn through and then pin deterioration to need to replace pin, 3000 rounds 3 fire pins in 8 month old gun, would adjusting the length of pin past the breech solve the problem?
Is there any permanent fix?? of just be-careful of shells and brands shot out of lower barrel?
rbdjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-25-2020, 07:42 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
What ammo are you shooting? My first set of pins went over 90K and were still technically sound when I needed some new springs.
oneounceload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:50 AM   #3

Member #16356
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
What ammo are you shooting? My first set of pins went over 90K and were still technically sound when I needed some new springs.
Like I said my gun is only 8 months old, I kinda know now what shells I need to avoid. here are the ones I have shot I need to avoid in future.

Estate Competition- at Walmart Winchester Universals- at Walmart. Federal Light Dove Loads White box -Walmart. Fiocchi 3gun, and most others using Cheddite primers. Most European shells use them, as they are leading primer manufacture in Europe.

Shells that I have no Troubles in bottom barrel of my 725- All Remington's are good, Winchester Super Target and AA, Federal Top Gun, I keep my eye on the primers after every 25, If I can shoot 25 with no burnt through primers I have no troubles, If I find a burnt through primer from fire pin strike I avoid that brand/model.
I have aprox 4000 rounds through my 725 and was putting a lower pin in every 1000 rounds until now its all good, Browning did warranty the pins which are inexpensive at $6.50 each. I now carry spares easy to change. but they do seem to hold up if no burn through s. I have talk to Browning several times and basically they have told me to avoid the shells that use Cheddite Primers.
I even Tried J&P spring?fire Pin kit$58, lasted 800 rounds because of burn through trouble, Pin wont last if burn through, its like a Plasma cutter hitting the tip of the pin, etches and pits the tip of the pin till it deteriorates it till it wont fire the shells anymore wearing the tip shorter.

Last edited by rbdjr; 06-25-2020 at 08:58 AM.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:44 PM   #4

Member #5570
Probably 4K or 5K on my 725 with no visible problems.

I shoot a mix, some reloads with Winchester primers, some Winchester factory, some Remington Factory and some Federal Factory.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:07 PM   #5

Member #16356
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
Probably 4K or 5K on my 725 with no visible problems.

I shoot a mix, some reloads with Winchester primers, some Winchester factory, some Remington Factory and some Federal Factory.
Yes I believe you answered your own question by the shells you listed.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:35 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Originally Posted by rbdjr View Post
Like I said my gun is only 8 months old, I kinda know now what shells I need to avoid. here are the ones I have shot I need to avoid in future.

Estate Competition- at Walmart Winchester Universals- at Walmart. Federal Light Dove Loads White box -Walmart. Fiocchi 3gun, and most others using Cheddite primers. Most European shells use them, as they are leading primer manufacture in Europe.

Shells that I have no Troubles in bottom barrel of my 725- All Remington's are good, Winchester Super Target and AA, Federal Top Gun, I keep my eye on the primers after every 25, If I can shoot 25 with no burnt through primers I have no troubles, If I find a burnt through primer from fire pin strike I avoid that brand/model.
I have aprox 4000 rounds through my 725 and was putting a lower pin in every 1000 rounds until now its all good, Browning did warranty the pins which are inexpensive at $6.50 each. I now carry spares easy to change. but they do seem to hold up if no burn through s. I have talk to Browning several times and basically they have told me to avoid the shells that use Cheddite Primers.
I even Tried J&P spring?fire Pin kit$58, lasted 800 rounds because of burn through trouble, Pin wont last if burn through, its like a Plasma cutter hitting the tip of the pin, etches and pits the tip of the pin till it deteriorates it till it wont fire the shells anymore wearing the tip shorter.
Cheddite does supply primers to many folks, but so does RIO (Maxam). Winchester Universals and Super Speeds are some of the worst shells ever made and not just for primers............
For not much more, you can shoot a lot better ammo......
oneounceload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:56 PM   #7

Member #16356
Yes my plan in future, I have made a adjustment to fire pin length past breech as I did talk to a Browning service guy, so far its working out and Im motoring closely the burn through.
Right now its Remington Nitro 27, STS Premiers, Gun Clubs, Federal Top Gun,
Winchester Super Target. I have a good supply of Nitros and STS premiers as the rebate stuff and at a decent price.
Weird how some people like me have problems and others no problem same model 725?