Grouse Hunting Ethics - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Grouse Hunting Ethics

This is a discussion on Grouse Hunting Ethics within the Bird Hunting Forum forums, part of the Hunting category; I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, but I'd like to hear current views. I was grouse hunting in New Hampshire this past ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Hunting > Bird Hunting Forum

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Jack Ryan
  • 1 Post By Jack Ryan
  • 2 Post By ramblinrebel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2020, 07:37 PM   #1

Member #18018
Grouse Hunting Ethics

I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, but I'd like to hear current views. I was grouse hunting in New Hampshire this past weekend with a group I don't often hunt with. I was surprised to see one of the hunters shoot a bird on the ground. That night we got into a discussion on the ethics of shooting a bird on the ground and I was taken back by how many hunters thought it was fine. The topic strayed to ducks, geese and turkey. Since I don't hunt the latter, I mostly listened and understood their argument pertaining to those, but I feel upland birds should not be shot on the ground. What do you think?
danth is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-06-2020, 09:45 PM   #2

Member #16968
I don't think it takes much of a "hunter" to shoot birds on the ground or turkeys off the limb.

I don't think any one invented trap or skeet to practice shooting a bird sitting on a nest. I've never seen a sporting clays target set up called "sitting rabbit" or fish in a barrel.
ramblinrebel likes this.

Last edited by Jack Ryan; 10-07-2020 at 08:47 AM.
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:14 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Member #1368
As hard as grouse are to even find, let alone shoot on the wing, I can see their viewpoint (although, like I you, I am not a fan of it)
oneounceload is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2020, 08:49 AM   #4

Member #16968
Part of the reason they are hard to find is every one shooting "prairie chickens" on the ground and out of the trees.
ramblinrebel likes this.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:47 AM   #5

Member #1887
Here in Oregon it sound's like I'm the only one that shoot's on the wing. Everyone I talk to about grouse seem's to prefer the 22RF fo a grouse gun!
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:25 PM   #6

Member #17442
All the years I hunted , never did I shoot em on the ground. I know some that did, funny I never hunted with them. Guess I'm old school.
oneounceload and Jack Ryan like this.
ramblinrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:01 PM   #7

Member #6025
A hundred years ago ammo was expensive, the kids were hungry and you needed to put meat on the table. Times have changed. Now I get my meat from the supermarket, ammo is mostly cheap from Wally World and I still refuse to shoot birds on the ground.

Yea ... I'm old school too and don't expect to change anytime soon unless the Republic goes to hell. In that event there are too many of us and not enough wild animals to consider survival hunting unless you add sparrows and robins to the edible list.